Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants are falling over

Posted by sunnyside_one Sourthern WV (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 26, 06 at 12:34

I have the strangest problem this year. All my plants in a 6 X 10 raised bed are falling over when they reach maturity. They seem to be well anchored in the soil but for some reason they simply want to lay down. It almost appears as though the lower stems/stalks get weak and can't support the plant upright. My hollyhocks have all fallen over; my nice State Fair zinnias have all fallen over and even the dahlias have fallen over. The plants all look extremely healthy and have bloomed beautifully. I'm wondering if I could have a problem with the soil. It's 1/3 compost, 1/3 mushroom manure and 1/3 poor soil. Could the soil simply be too rich? Or possibly although it doesn't appear to be obvious to me, could insect be eating the roots. I'm doubtful that it's insects because the plants have been all falling down uniformly. Or maybe I have some kind of root rot? Can anyone help me with this problem? By the way, I'll be sending a soil sample to the soil lab for testing later this fall. Thanks again for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants are falling over

I've also had problems in the past with tall hollyhocks, and tall dahlias falling over. In reading at the dahlia forum, I think most of the taller or bigger varieties need staking.

I've seen other's hollyhocks fall over as well. Possibly they wouldn't if they were in a protected (from wind) area.
I've since given up on hollyhocks for the time being due to their floppiness.

Sue

o
RE: Plants are falling over

Also, in my experience, Dahlias do best if they are pinched early on in their growth like chrysanthemums in order to develop stronger stems. If I don't pinch, they get tall and flop. If I continue to pinch them back, then they don't.

In addition, if things don't get enough sun, they have a tendency to reach for the sun or just to have floppy stems. This can be caused from shade from neighboring plants as well as shade from trees, buildings, fences, etc., or just a northern exposure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here