Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

The %%#! groundhog looked in window at me!!!

storygardener
18 years ago

It's bad enough that this darn critter runs all over our neighborhood - now he has the nerve to look in the window at me!(my office window is a couple feet above the deck surface) We are trying to trap him...of course, I've caught opposum and all the neighborhood cats - but, not that groundhog.

He's really quite the bad boy. He's burrowed under one neighbors deck, broke the lattice near another neighbor's deck, dines upon some of our delicious veggie and flower gardens. But, looking at me through the window is like thumbing his nose at me.

There's steam coming from my ears!!!!

Beverly

Comments (20)

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

OMG! What were you wearing?

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank goodness I wasn't working at my desk in the nude or anything!!! (Although...maybe THAT would have scared him off the premises!) I was wearing a demin skirt and a blouse. I was presentable.

Then I went to bait the havaheart trap with corn and apples and the latch broke off. I think it can be fixed. Can't win!

Yes, that animal has nerve!! He was doing the groundhog na, na, nannie, boo boo at me!!

I know...this too shall pass.

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Flip him the bird. He won't understand, but you might feel better.

• mrsgeekboy
    18 years ago

• roadtrip
    18 years ago

Oh my... now that's funny!! That critter in the second photo has got the fattest cheeks, most definatly getting ready for winter. I like the ole stare down between the cat and the "fuzzy tailed rat" too.

In my old apartment I had sliding glass doors leading out to the balcony and the morning doves would happily land and eat up the seed the others had scattered all over the place. My cat would sit there for hours watching the birds. One time he actually launched himself at the glass and it was like an explosion of wings and feathers as all the birds took off unaware of the glass protecting them. It was like they had never seen him before or something with the startle they got. The cat learned his lesson and just sat and watched them from that point on, but I think until the day we moved he still thought he would get one of them some day.

Thanks for sharing!!
    Shannon

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Wonderful pictures! Think they are casing your house for a winter move-in?

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My cat watches "bird TV" I call it, too. Every now and then a squirrel get's into the picture. His little wiskers and upper lips start moving back and forth and he starts a funny chatter noise. So exciting, huh!!!! Do your cats do the wisker wiggle, too?

• alison
    18 years ago

My old cat made no noise, but he would chatter his teeth as if he was having a seizure.

He was never particularly interested in birds outside, but he once bagged a mourning dove -- inside the apartment! I had a stick-on bird feeder on the kitchen window, and the birds often followed the seed down to the ledge. One early spring morning, before I'd gotten around to putting the screens in the windows I was sitting in the dining room when Yofi streaked thru the room with that "pay-no-attention-to-me-I'm-not-doing-anything" look perfected by domestic pets and small children. So, I immediately follow him in to the hall to see him trying to sneak into the study with a giant mourning dove in his mouth -- it was at least twice the size of his head!

(I don't know if the cat had jumped on the table and reached out to bag his dove, or the dove had wandered in onto the table, or it had followed spilt seed onto the kitchen floor -- in which case he needed to be eaten and removed from the gene pool!)I smacked the cat and made him drop the bird. I had to lock him in the study, and listen to him yowl.

The dove wasn't moving, and I wasn't about to touch a city dove with my hands, so I got a dish towel to wrap him in. I dropped it on top of him -- and he immediately flew down the length of the hall into the bathroom, where he crashed into the tub. I opened the window and closed the shower curtain and eventually he flew out again. I gave the cat a chunk of braunschweiger with little wings, and he was much happier. And we've never had problems with mourning doves in the kitchen again!

I tell you, Bev -- pot roast -- it's the solution to your woodchuck problem!

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

I have some nice garlic chives that have re-emerged and are spicy and tasty. Should minimize the gamey taste.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, I've got a crockpot..between the crockpot and Bakemom's garlic chives - the roast will be tender and tastey. Ugh!

Alison...your kitty is the brave hunter. I love the brauschweiger with feathers as a reward!! Perfect.

The groundhog ate a tomato the other day. He runs under the deck or out to the field when he hears us. I'd like to catch him before he settles down with the Mrs. to raise a family!!

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

I call the beastie the "Suburban Assault Groundhog". Since shooting the nasty rodent would get me arrested (although I think that my .45 would do a wonderful job of tenderizing him) Lee, my DH, purchased a techie slingshot and ballbearings. Now, all we have to do is get a good shot at him! Keep your fingers crossed girls!

Alison and Karen-You two crack me up! Karen, we'll make sure Lee is fully clothed when he goes gunning for the chuck and Alison, my kitties have brought me various "presents" including a bird, all caught in the house. Unfortunately, they have all thought that my BED was the proper place to share them with me!

Mrsgeekboy-We had a squirrel that I tought to "knock" at the door to my MIL's. I would then give him a nut as a reward. I did this to make my SIL freak. It worked only too well. The bushy tailed rat soo got so bold that he learned to open up the screen door and would come in and help himself to the nuts I kept in a bowl for him! I had to put a better latch on the door after that. Even my dear SIL didn't need to have a squirrel with bad manners strolling in and out of the house!

~~Mimi

P.S. Bev-you left out *@ and ~^#@!

• mrsgeekboy
    18 years ago

The squirrels and chipmunks (and birds, for that matter) just stare at us through the window. I do think they are checking out the place, trying to figure out how to get in. ;)

At our last apartment before we bought our house, there was a pond with ducks we used to feed a lot. They would come up to our little porch and knock on the sliding glass door they were hungry and we weren't around. Sometimes I would just open the door and screen, then feed them from inside. That stopped when they started trying to come into the apartment.

-Amy

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well...Chuck has been running around my backyarad & he's been heading under the deck way too often. So, I laid down on the grass and peeked under the deck. Seems he has burrowed down next to the foundation.

Oh, #$@^%!!!!!!!!!

The saga continues...new twist.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I caught that *&%$!! groundhog today!!!! Yipppeeee!!!!

• alison
    18 years ago

Dinner's at Bev's!
    I'll bring little new potatoes....

So did you get him in the trap, or was he arrested trying to shake down other gardeners?

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got him in my Havaheart trap...apple as the bait. He is a huge one. I am not surprised, though. Having eaten so many of my plants and tomatoes he's quite well fed.

Happy to see him go.

Yes, Alison...the new potatoes sound good!

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Well, I guess that's fine. We'll have to deal with traditional potluck at the swap.

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

Hey! I know! Beverly could keep his little carcas in my freezer until the swap! Teee! Heeee!

~~Mimi

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Shoot!!!!!!!!! We spotted ANOTHER groundhog in the field behind our houses today. I kinda figured where there's one..there's another.

Oh well...It's apples in the trap time!! - again.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm