Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmac96

When does Miss Kim Lilac bloom in NE Ohio?

tmac96
18 years ago

I am planning a new bed that will have a Miss Kim Lilac as a centerpiece. I would like to choose plants that will have complementary blooms at of course, the same blooming time as Miss Kim. When does she usually bloom in NE Ohio?

Also, any ideas for companion plants? The bed will receive full sun nearly all day.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• fennelgrl
    18 years ago

Here in Cincinnati, it bloomed in mid-May. Heavenly fragrance.

Here is a link that might be useful: When I first smelled Miss Kim

• tmac96
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Fennelfrl -- I followed the link to your website and you are HILARIOUS! I too must have a Miss Kim. I was unsure since I had only read about on the net. But after your personal recommendation...SOLD! :-) I can't wait for those heavenly blooms! BTW, how is yours doing so far? Can you tell me anything about the growth rate? Thanks for anything you can offer!

So while on your website, I read some of the other posts you had. The one called, "The yews must die" was particularly interesting. We just moved into a house (new construction) which has NO landscaping. I had the whole yard figured out except for my foundation beds. I did the same thing as you -- walked the neighborhood in search of inspiration. All I saw were yews, boxwoods and others of the sort. I should have bought a barf bag with me! I can't take those things anymore! When I asked for advice, I heard the same thing about "winter interest". Blah blah blah. Considering how cold and nasty winters get out here, I'm not going to be outside long enough to even be looking at the darn things! Anyhow, needless to say, I decided against the yews, etc. I will be doing some small hydrangeas surrounded by other perennials such as hostas and tall astibles which bloom at various times over the summer. I'll also have some fringed bleeding heart and some type of coral bells. I like that WAY better! Thanks so much for yewr support!

• fennelgrl
    18 years ago

The lilac has a medium growth rate. I didn't expect it to grow at all (due to the transplant shock) but I was surprised to see it extend about 4 inches at the end of all of the branches. I believe Miss Kim is a dwarf and isn't supposed to get larger than 3 feet high and wide.

I bought mine at Kroger for only around $16. You can probably find an inexpensive plant with all of the end of season sales. In fact, Home Depot has 30% off most or all shrubs and trees right now.

Glad you enjoyed my blog!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH