Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow Fountain Cherry didn't bloom

Posted by Jazmyn Z5 Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 04 at 14:20

Hello all,

Last spring I bought my mom a snow fountain cherry tree, and it's growing like a weed. The tree was just done blooming when i bought it for her on mother's day last year.

However, this spring it didn't bloom at all. it got bundles of little florettes on it, but they were not the showy white blossoms that I was expecting. The tree looks very healthy, with lots of leaves, lots of new starts that I prune now and then to keep it's shape.

Is there something I should do now to make sure it blooms next spring?

thanx in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow Fountain Cherry didn't bloom

It may have gotten nipped by a frost. The cherries bloom so early that sometimes they get damaged right at the time we expect a big show! If it leafed out well this year and grew well, it will bloom next spring. Most years they bloom well. Be patient!

o

ok...it's now mid may, and once again the tree has stubbornly refused to bloom. It did the same thing this year - it got tons of little bud clusters on it, and they've turned into little false-blooms (pale green, with a single stamen-like central hub).

my patience is wearing thin. This is the 3rd season it's refused to bloom. My mom wanted a beautiful weeping cherry covered with white blossoms....and she's gotten a trunk with long trailers, covered with lovely leaves in the summer, yes, but....

help???

o

Don't know anything about trees, But maybe it needs a pollinator. Is it the same tree you looked at in the nursery? I would go back where you bought it and see if they can solve the mystery.

o

• Posted by
    June_FourGreenAcres 5
    (kjpryor@aol.com) on
    Thu, May 14, 09 at 11:58

My weeping cherry bloomed beautifully its first spring. This year, it had tons of buds but very few of them bloomed. Now it has leafed out. Does anybody have any ideas about why it would do this? Did the previous poster ever get a blooming tree?

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Green Acres

o

Nope, i still have the tree, and it has never bloomed, in 5 years. I've asked and been told to "be patient". Well, for a $113 well-grown snow fountain cherry, I've about had my fill of it.

further suggestions always welcome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here