Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

What's blooming in your August garden?

alison
18 years ago

This has not been the best of summers for my garden, and everything is looking a bit punky.

I have a few flowers on my white black-eyed susan, about 50-50 "blind" and with eyes. All the basils are blooming their heads off, of course, along with the rest of the herbs.

The toad lilies are blooming, and the Royal Standard hosta is just beginning to unfurl. The coral bells are blooming too, but I have the Palace Purple and the flowers are pretty insignificant.

The sweet william are blooming still, but don't look so nice. They were covered in the spring, and I cut them back after that flush was done. While they've kept blooming, the cut stems have turned brown and ugly.

My rugosa roses are blooming, but the big floribunda is taking a breather after it's -- 3rd? 4th? -- flush of blooms this summer. But the cuttings I took in December are all blooming in their little pots, and I'm pleased to say they smell just as good as the parent plant.

Forget-me-nots and coreopsis are looking really good together. This forget-me-not is a volunteer from last summer, and I'm going to scatter the seeds around a little more freely. I think it is "Firmament" and it is a most excellent blue.

Unlike the "Siberian Blue" dianthus, which are actually lavender, a rosy-lavender at that, but are blooming well, in a strip with sweet sultan, village pinks and larkspurs. My neighbors porch garden was doing really well -- blooming daturas, lilies, fanflowers, nasturiums and lavender -- until she quit watering for 2 weeks in the 90+ heat. Sitting in the full blazing sun, they didn't fare very well. But then, who does?

The wallflowers have finally given up the ghost, and I have a few desultory flowers from the gaillardia and geum in the alley, but I think that's about it. Oh -- and the night-blooming phlox, which I can't say enough happy things about. They don't look like much, but what a scent!!

What's blooming in your yard and making you happy this month?

Comments (9)

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

The gaillardias are beautiful! I'm enjoying datura, calendula (so crisp and fresh), all my craaazy rudbeckias, white swan coneflower and anise hyssop. Nicotiana is just starting to produce seeds and I'm enjoying that as well.

This has been a tough year though. I'm worn out.

• storygardener
    18 years ago

My garden has struggled this year with not nearly enough water. I have watered some...but - not really enough.
    What's blooming-

Several Clematis - Polish Spirit, Jackmani, The President, & Multi Blue..these all very only a few flowers. But, my Mormari Estonia has bloomed beautifully all summer.

Many phlox are blooming - seems like David needs extra extra water and wilts no matter what I do.

Scabiosa - pink and white. Such workhorses in the garden.

I am getting second flushes of blooms on my lavendar Munstead.

Various hostas are blooming.

Boy I miss all my daylilies in bloom. For six weeks or so it was wonderful. Now there's May May, Many Happy Returns, Royal Palace Prince, Autumn Gold and Eenie Allegro.

The Hibiscus are gorgeous...thank goodness. They are so colorful and cheerful.

Other perenials blooming are: Russian Sage, Mexican Hat, Yellow Ratibida, Echinacea, Kalimeris, Helianthus, Heliopsis, mini roses, mums, honeysuckle, Tradescantia Sweet Kate, Becky Shasta Daisey, Rozanne Geranium, butterfly bushes, veronia, ornamental oregano, campanula Anna Loddon & joe-pye weed.

One of the most beautiful plants in my yard right now is the cupplant...silphium. It's about 10 feet tall and 4 feet wide with bright yellow daiseys at the top. Outstanding!!

Of course...lots of annuals too.

Good question, Alison!

Beverly

• Kymie17
    18 years ago

Both of my roses are reblooming, although I really don't like the purple of the "Karl Lagerfeld" so he might be finding a new home--in someone else's yard, probably my mom's--this fall.

My bronze fennel is blooming, and is "bug central" as my boyfriend likes to say. My lavenders are all reblooming, with the "Munstead" putting on the biggest show so far. My ornamental onions are just now starting to bloom, too.

This is the time of the year for which I plant annuals, though--to bridge the gap between my summer flowering plants and my fall-flowering ones. So I have lots of reddish purple snapdragons, magenta-colored sweet alyssum, and a pretty dark orange marigold planted in various places as well.

• vickie3144
    18 years ago

in louisville, we have had a dry dry july and august. but my black eyed susans don't care! they are a gorgeous yellow cloud. also my lavender balloon flowers just keep on blooming. the yellow sunrise coreopsis just keeps on blooming as well. the petunias are struggling but trying hard with their purple blossoms hanging out of the pots. now, the multicolor verbena in pots are doing pretty well as long as i water them every 3 days or so. i cut back everything that had a dried bloom on it this evening; (being very careful not to hurt my neck and back in case martha sees this and yes i am on ice.)it was so gorgeous this evening. even my roses are blooming somehow! the veggie garden still has blooming zinnas' and sunflowers and daylilies and marigolds and nastursums. don't you just love gardening?!?

• granny57
    18 years ago

Lets see,What's blooming in my Garden??

WEEDS!!!!

• fennelgrl
    18 years ago

Totally wierd - my Weigela Minuet just started blooming. I think it's supposed to bloom in late spring/early summer. Go figure.

• Kymie17
    18 years ago

fennelgrl, I've seen a few weigelas around here blooming, too.. one along the route I usually walk with the dog every morning. I kind of thought it was odd, too... maybe it's because of the dry spell that we had in the early summer?

Still no color on my toad lilies... *insert sigh here*

• gdionelli
    18 years ago

Not much! My miniature roses are blooming like crazy. Only a couple of other roses have a few blooms. Lilium speciosum rubrum is just about finished (but it has been sooooo lovely -- I highly recommend if you've never tried it!) Rudbeckias are starting to wind down, toad lilies haven't started yet. A few veronicas, a few gaillardias, one foxglove.

• diggerb2
    18 years ago

I'm a bit north, but I've got lots of hosta in bloom--
    18 plants with 98 scapes of plantagenia. Wow in this hot weather they overwhelm you. some marguerite daisys. some
    black-eyed susans. last week (while i was on vacation)my
    rugosa roses rebloomed (jens munk, parfume de la hay, and
    teresa bugnet0. and i got petunias (only thing i water).

from the central ohio swap this spring my joe-pie-weed, monkshood, meadow rue, uvularia and japanese anemones are all still hanging in there.

diggerb

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus