Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pigeonbob

Dayton and surrounding area....

PIGEONBOB
18 years ago

...looking for gardening buds in the Dayton area. I collect mainly perennials and unusual trees and shrubs and dabble in hybridizing. I would like to find a few folks to trade things with. Not all of the neat plant material can be found at nurseries, and I go for the unusual. So if you are somewhat of a collector and like to talk plants, then there are at least two of us. It is a stretch for me to post a message like this, but I have rarely met a gardener that I didn't have something in common with. So even if you are shy about meeting new people, so am I. Bob

Comments (10)

• michigoose
    18 years ago

I do the same...except for the hybridizing and am new to the area....so I don't have anything to trade...yet. ;)

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    18 years ago

Bob - I was wondering if you got my e-mail, but I doubt it. It was in response to the one you sent me. Your mail box may have been full. And I now have forgotten what your topic of conversation was - maybe we oughta to try it again

• ellenp
    18 years ago

Hi Bob! I have 2 acres just east of Xenia. This is my third summer on the property so my "collection" isn't that big yet plus this dry summer has set me back. I love to experiment with anything that grows but I am far from an expert. I wintersow and do a bunch of seed starting in my basement in the winter months so I always have a bunch of extras to share in the spring. I call it my therapy some people call it my obsession (-: I have also done some volunteer gardening at a local charity. I have always found that a gardener is rarely shy in the presence of another gardener. ellen

• ellenp
    18 years ago

Bob,

I tried responding to your email and it was returned???

ellen

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    18 years ago

same happened to my e-mail replies - twice. Three strikes and your out is my policy

• PIGEONBOB
    Original Author
    18 years ago

To ellenp & mrgpag. I have no clue why I'm not getting your messages, I get emails every day from all over the country. I am so sorry this happened to you. I will send you both another message, my correct email has to be on it. Thanks for your patience. (I wondered why I hadn't heard from you, now I know).Bob

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

Hello Bob:

I live in Eastern Cincinnati and am always looking for gardening friends too. I have a fairly extensive collection of perennials, grasses etc. Maybe we can find something to trade sometime too. I'd also love to hear more about your hybridizing efforts.

Sue
    "The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

• ellenp
    18 years ago

Hi Bob,

I'll try resending my original email. ellen

• vyrian
    18 years ago

Hi all: Glad to see a thread in the Dayton area... I work in Dayton but live in Cincinnati. Right now I am getting into winter-sowing, as I am finding that caring for annuals like cosmos is as easy as perennial gardening. I am also starting to collect perennial seeds like black eyed susans, lambs ears, coneflower, iris (rhizomous), hibiscus, lavender, thyme, among others. Recently I collected a bunch of ornamental grass seeds -- will see how that turns out.

-CLK

• PIGEONBOB
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ellen I got your message. My email changed and I tried to fix it on here, but apparently it is locked in. I will try again later. I collected about 100 'buckeyes' from one of my Horse Chestnut trees. I plan to try and grow them this spring, hoping maybe a variegated will show up. Not likely but I can't resist. Thanks for the note. Bob