Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dayton and surrounding area....

Posted by PIGEONBOB Z5--OHIO (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 14:47

...looking for gardening buds in the Dayton area. I collect mainly perennials and unusual trees and shrubs and dabble in hybridizing. I would like to find a few folks to trade things with. Not all of the neat plant material can be found at nurseries, and I go for the unusual. So if you are somewhat of a collector and like to talk plants, then there are at least two of us. It is a stretch for me to post a message like this, but I have rarely met a gardener that I didn't have something in common with. So even if you are shy about meeting new people, so am I. Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dayton and surrounding area....

I do the same...except for the hybridizing and am new to the area....so I don't have anything to trade...yet. ;)

o

Bob - I was wondering if you got my e-mail, but I doubt it. It was in response to the one you sent me. Your mail box may have been full. And I now have forgotten what your topic of conversation was - maybe we oughta to try it again

o

Hi Bob! I have 2 acres just east of Xenia. This is my third summer on the property so my "collection" isn't that big yet plus this dry summer has set me back. I love to experiment with anything that grows but I am far from an expert. I wintersow and do a bunch of seed starting in my basement in the winter months so I always have a bunch of extras to share in the spring. I call it my therapy some people call it my obsession (-: I have also done some volunteer gardening at a local charity. I have always found that a gardener is rarely shy in the presence of another gardener. ellen

o

Bob,

I tried responding to your email and it was returned???

ellen

o

same happened to my e-mail replies - twice. Three strikes and your out is my policy

o

To ellenp & mrgpag. I have no clue why I'm not getting your messages, I get emails every day from all over the country. I am so sorry this happened to you. I will send you both another message, my correct email has to be on it. Thanks for your patience. (I wondered why I hadn't heard from you, now I know).Bob

o

Hello Bob:

I live in Eastern Cincinnati and am always looking for gardening friends too. I have a fairly extensive collection of perennials, grasses etc. Maybe we can find something to trade sometime too. I'd also love to hear more about your hybridizing efforts.

Sue
"The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

o

Hi Bob,

I'll try resending my original email. ellen

o

• Posted by vyrian z6, Cinti, OH (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 9, 05 at 13:51

Hi all: Glad to see a thread in the Dayton area... I work in Dayton but live in Cincinnati. Right now I am getting into winter-sowing, as I am finding that caring for annuals like cosmos is as easy as perennial gardening. I am also starting to collect perennial seeds like black eyed susans, lambs ears, coneflower, iris (rhizomous), hibiscus, lavender, thyme, among others. Recently I collected a bunch of ornamental grass seeds -- will see how that turns out.

-CLK

o

Ellen I got your message. My email changed and I tried to fix it on here, but apparently it is locked in. I will try again later. I collected about 100 'buckeyes' from one of my Horse Chestnut trees. I plan to try and grow them this spring, hoping maybe a variegated will show up. Not likely but I can't resist. Thanks for the note. Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here