Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightstorm_gw

Changing Zones Soon

MidnightStorm
17 years ago

I presently live in coastal Carolina (Zone 8A) but will be moving to Huntington, West Virginia soon. I want to bring cuttings of some of my plants when I move but I'm not sure if they'll grow in my new area.

Can anyone tell me if these plants will do okay in the Huntington area:

Wisteria

Crepe Myrtle

Passion Flower Vine

Climbing American Beauty Roses

Zepherine Drouhin Roses

Lady Banks Roses

Lavender

Jasmines Vines (Conferederate, Carolina, etc.)

Also, are there any good gardening books that deal with month-to-month gardening chores in this area of the country?

Thank you for your help.

Comments (3)

• michigoose
    17 years ago

I just changed zones last year, so I feel for you. One thing I'll bring up is that not only do you have to think about zones, but you have to think about soil ph and soil consistency. I went from acid to alkaline and there are somethings which just need acid soil.

Huntington is zone 6. Lavendar will do fine, but you will have to make sure it has good drainage. Some hard winters you'll have die back, and it will be slow waking up in the spring. Do not cut it back until you are SURE the branch is dead. I grew lavendar in my zone 6 garden in CT for years.

Your roses will be fine. The crepe myrtle...well...it depends. Some are hardier than others. They won't get the majestic heights which you are probably used to because they will die back, but I do have some which I managed to get to come back this spring. In CT I used to go to all sorts of tricks to make sure it survived (burlap wind breaks, etc). You might just want to forget about the old standard crepe myrtle and go for the hardier ones, like "Hopi" and the other Indian named cultivars. There are a lot of them.

Passion flower vine: well, my neighbor used to schlep hers in and out. There is one variety, commonly called the maypop, which is hardy to this area. Others you will have to treat as a tender perennial and deal....

I'm not sure about the Jasmine vines...you'll have to check that one on your own. I have only grown jasmine as a houseplant, so I can't help you there.

Good luck on your move. About the books, I was given the Ohio gardening book and was greatly disappointed. Basically I would suggest going to the library and browsing. There are a couple of month-to-month chore lists which are set up by zone. I can't think of any of the titles right off the top of my head, but you'll get it.

• gdionelli
    17 years ago

Wisteria is iffy around here. I've seen it flourish, but I've known a lot of gardeners who can't get it to bloom.

Lavender is fine. Just make sure you add plenty of soil conditioner (vermiculite, perlite, sand, whatever...)

Roses all do fine here. But I have big problems with blackspot because of the amount of humidity and rain.

I've never seen jasmine here. I don't think it will work. I personally don't have crepe myrtles, but I see a lot of them in flower.

Huntington tends to be a little warmer than you'd expect -- the river valley seems to warm things up a bit.

• MidnightStorm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for the helpful hints. I really appreciate it. I may have to post a separate message to see if anyone knows how Jasmine will do in your area.

Sponsored