Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain?

Posted by marvingardens 6 CentralOH (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 08 at 19:21

We were doing so good with rain until July. Now my yard is crispy. I can't keep up with the watering, I was hoping Fay would make its way up here, but it doesn't look good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain?

It looks like we're getting a little bit of it now -- not that it's doing much here in central Ohio.

It was a long dry stretch there, wasn't it? The faucet at work was broken, and it took 3 weeks to get it fixed. I hauled an awful lot of water out to our little garden, just enough to keep things alive. Not looking as snazzy as it usually does, but I think it will rebound with a little water and some cooler temperatures.

(The positive note is realizing how much our efforts to dig in compost and amendments into this south-facing sandy soil has paid off. If we'd had this long hot dry spell two years ago, we would have lost everything. Go mulch!)

o

We did some lawn renovation last weekend and this weekend, which guarantees a dry spell! Got the sprinklers running now.

The little spit of rain we had Friday has fooled a lot of people.....cloudy all day and drizzle seems to mean a lot to some folks!

The forcast looks decent for the week though....a few chances for showers. Keep our fingers crossed!

o

• Posted by bencjedi 6 - Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 15, 08 at 0:01

I miss the rain. It rains cats and dogs 16 miles west of here, but we don't get a single drop on this side of Central Kentucky. Ike brought us wind that trimmed alot of the dead leaves out of my plants, but the ground is so parched and dry. The weather patterns are all screwed up... too much rain on areas that don't need it and not enough on those that do. We could be worse off with no electricity on the other hand. I just wish it would rain here. It's so sad watching all the vegetation suffer. What's the use in having rain barrels if it doesn't ever rain to fill them back up? :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here