Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michigoose_gw

How do you amend this lovely clay?

michigoose
18 years ago

Ok...I'm swearing at my newly set up compost heaps in order to get it warmer and rotting quicker (;) ) and I keep on thinking of my lovely compost heaps I left behind.

I know this clay is rich...but holey moley! I just about slid all the way down in my newly dug goldfish pond.

My master gardener friend was saying I needed to add sand, that adding organic material wasn't going to do much, that the clay had a lot of organic material in it. My neighbor (who obviously lives here ; 0 ) says that no, I should just add organic material and forget the sand because when sand is added, it merely becomes like concrete.....

So...since I don't have a truck, and I don't have working compost yet...I've been buying peat moss....but I was wondering what you all do.

Comments (7)

• roadtrip
    18 years ago

Look into pine bark soil conditioner. I use it and have heard some good things about it. While my own results are yet to be determined, I've just started using it in one bed that is mostly clay, I'm trying to remain hopeful. The Hostas seem to love the soil, clay or likewise! I also use the conditioner as mulch too as I don't care for the large nugget look.

If you opt to use peat moss, try mixing it with peat humus or just use straight peat humus. The problem is mixing the peat moss in with the clay soil and you could end up with dry pockets or clumps of peat that the plants won't like.

Good luck!!
    Shannon

• michigoose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

peat hummus? I've never heard of it. I use a rototiller to mix the peat into the soil...works like a charm. It is the little rototiller attachment to the gas weedwhacker.

• Amnesia
    18 years ago

what is pine bark soil conditioner? And is it available in the greater Cincinnati area?

• mrsgeekboy
    18 years ago

If memory serves, I have purchased pine bark soil conditioner here in the Cinti area to use as mulch. It might also say "pine fines." I too hate the big chunks of mulch. Unfortunately all the flower beds in my yard were covered with it when we moved in. Ugh!

• roadtrip
    18 years ago

Peat Humus... I had to look this one up as some places selling soil by the truckload sell it as "black soil."

My mom buys it from a small company close to her up north in Zone 5. She's been using this stuff for years and has the best spoil I've ever seen. She's always mixing in the peat humus whenever she's dividing or moving plants. I buy mine in 40# bags at Lowes in Cold Springs/Alexandria (just off 275 on the KY side.)

Here's what I found as to what Peat Humus actually is...

Fully decomposed forest fibers, made from organic plant and soil matter, loosens heavy soils and improves moisture extension.

The pine bark soil conditioner is a composted pine bark fines, which is ideal for loosening and conditioning heavy soils. I bought mine from the local greenhouse in 40# bags here in Anderson Township off Clough Pike at Greenfield Plant Farm, but I've sure it's available in other places around the Greater Cincinnati area.

Shannon

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    18 years ago

while you're waiting on your compost heap to produce, see if you can locate a purveyor of bulk mulch and ask them if they have bulk mushroom compost - recycled horse from mushroom growers - although I think it may have gotten to the point that the mushroom growing part is by-passed. Pretty good stuff. Keep adding as much organic stuff as you can to that clay and it will eventually turn into loam, but it takes a while. I've been working on some of my beds for 12 years and they're finally coming around. Some sand is helpful, but don't get carried away with it. and always add it along with compost.
    Welcome to Ohio - Have you visited Chaney's Nursery yet?

• fennelgrl
    18 years ago

Every time I plant something, I dig a hole at least 1.5 times the diameter of the rootball and a little deeper too. I put the clay in the wheelbarrow and chop it up with a hoe. Then I mix in bagged humus/manure. The proportions vary - I've made a mix of anywhere from 25% humus/manure to 50% humus/manure. Then I mix, mix, mix and chop up the cheesy clay balls. I put some of the amended soil in the bottom of the hole, and the rest on the sides and top after I get the plant in. This is my first season, but it's worked very well for me. My plants have all quadrupled in size since planting in the spring.

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH