Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanner_gw

Late summer bloomers

jeanner
19 years ago

Just wondering what everyone else plants for late summer color. I seem to have hit a real dead period, just about everything is on it's way out and the fall bloomers haven't started blooming yet. Even the coneflowers are looking bad this year with the dry spell in July. I did plant some St. Johns' wort, butterfly weed (from seed) and tall phlox this year but they are all first year perennials. So what do you have blooming now??

Jean

Comments (8)

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I have gaillardia - just the basic blanketflower blooming right now - just started. Plus, my helinium is starting to take off. Obedient plant is blooming and rudbeckia lacinata is starting to fill out.

My Ohio State sedum is beginning to turn scarlet and gray and my nicotiana alata is about 4 feet high right now with tons of fragrant white flowers.

Daturas are contining to bloom regularly and ornmental oregano is infull deep violet bloom.

• MeMyselfAndI
    19 years ago

Butterfly bush is still going strong.
    Some Sedums have color on their buds by now.
    Chrysanthemums are just starting.
    A couple Clematis' and several roses are still blooming (I deadhead them where I can reach.)
    Alaska daisies are in full glory.
    Lobelia spihilitica is going strong.
    Lycoris squamigera (naked ladies, resurrection lilies) look great!
    The Phlox (Rainbow and David) refuse to stop.
    And something about 3 ft. tall with electric blue flowers that smells like black licorice (the whole plant smells like this) is in full glory - hyssop? agastache? I can't remember what it is.

• plantsnobin
    19 years ago

Try Salvia 'Uliginosa'. It has wonderful sky blue blooms and is looking great now. Also Salvia 'Pitcheri'. There are many salvias that start blooming late and provide great color. Another good blue is Ceratostigma. Asters, Gentianas, Lespedeza thunbergii 'Gibraltar', Butterfly Bush, Lobelia siphiltica, Tricyrtis, and many others are looking good now. I find that spring and late summer are my favorite times to be in the garden. Mid summer is just too hot and filled with too many biting insects for me.

• fourpaws2002
    19 years ago

I was thrilled to see the butterfly bushes I started from seed this year actually blooming & not just 1 or 2 blooms, but mutltiple branches with many blooms, never expected that to happen in the first year.
    coreopsis still blooming but looking ratty
    Cosmos starting to bloom, penstemons actually reblooming and of course the old stand bys Rudbeckia & heliopsis/helianthus-false sunflower & Loraine sunshine, verbena boneriansis, salvias,cardinal flower, gillardia and many others
    Surprisingly still looks nice

• delightp
    19 years ago

lanceleaf coreopsis
    Rudbeckia black eyed susan
    triloba brown eyed susan
    also the false sunflower that fourpaws mentioned

thats pretty much it for the moment

• jeanner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I think I must be behind because my obedient plants haven't starting blooming yet. I also have some of the later salvias and they are just starting to bloom. But I will definitely look into some of the others that you all mentioned. My butterfly bushes really took a beating last winter so they are blooming but not as in years past.

MeMyselfandI - I have several of the agastaches but they look PITIFUL this year. They were gorgeous last year and the butterflies loved them but this year they barely made it up and are pale yellow and no blooms. I am so disappointed - where do you have yours planted?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions - now I just have to find room to add some late summer bloomers :^)

Jean

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Anise Hyssop is in full bloom and doing beautifully! Wheeee.

Also helinium, cleomes and MEXICAN HAT! whooohoo.

• gardengirl_17
    19 years ago

Boltonia will bloom in September;
    Sweet autumn clematis;
    mandevilla
    knautia
    Helianthus Loraine Sunshine
    Phlox "Laura"
    Roses "Knockout" and "Ballerina"
    Echinacea and rudbeckia
    Coleus provides color in the fall
    Ornamental grasses