Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant along a stream?

Posted by GiantSycamore none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 22:34

WARNING: I'm a gardening novice so please forgive any stupidity.

So there is a small stream that runs through my property all year long (fed by an old mine shaft). This stream is usually lined with all sorts of ugly, fast growing weeds. I recently burned away all the weeds and put down grass seed with decent success. But I am now wondering if there is any sort of weed/vine type thing that I could introduce to this area that will dominate the other weeds while not growing super tall/fast. If anything like that exists, what could it be? Obviously weeds that are mildly aesthetically pleasing would be preferred (if those exist). It wouldn't be a problem for me to burn or roundup everything that's there now to give the new plant a head start, but basically I'm looking for a plant that will become a uniform ground covering plant along my stream where it is too steep to mow and weed eating sucks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant along a stream?

I have a creek with 15ft sloping sides. After years of trials and mostly errors, I planted Petasities [peta-SYE-tees] /Common name: Wild rhubarb. The photo shows young plants, When mature the leaves are about 1-1/2 to 2ft wide and up to 3ft tall. I planted two plants five years ago and now they cover my banks. They spread via rhizomes and help keep my banks from collapsing. Also they prevent the deer from running down the banks because they can't see the ground through the leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here