Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciagaye

Louisville Fall Plant Swap

marciagaye
16 years ago

The date is Saturday, September 22, time is 10 am. I am almost embarrassed.... The garden looks horrible...the lack of rain and this heat was everything looking do sad. Hopefully it will look better by the swap. I only got a handful of tomatoes and my luffa gourds are producing flowers now, so I am not sure I will have any luffas this year. My daylilies did great....everything else was a so-so. Not the first bloom on my moon vine! I will have some seeds to share from one of my plants in the front garden...right now the name is escaping me. Who is in for this swap?

Comments (12)

• dreamspirit
    16 years ago

I will be there. My moon vine is growing like crazy, but no blooms yet. Can I divide this at all to swap? I don't want to kill it.

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As far as I know you can't divide it....you can only save seeds from the blooms. We had it for two years and loved it...we would sit outside and wait for the flowers to start to open and then sit back and enjoy the fragrance. I will not give up on this and will try again next year. We finally have a hummer or two....they always show up on their back back south....never had any luck with them on their migration from the south.

• flowerchildky
    16 years ago

Hi Marcia,
    count me in! I think all of us in Louisville have had the same heat/drought troubles. My celosia and melampodium are finally getting some height- they stayed so small almost all summer

I will try to take up the hardy begonia for you and Sue- they have almost 'expired' in this heat!

anyone want peony? No sense digging if no one needs-
    how about monarda "Violet Queen"
    I need to take up some Hosta - that are in full sun here now- one is green and white (don't know the name) I have 'golden tiara' (stays small) and the huge "Royal Standard" which blooms have a wonderful fragrance!
    should be able to dig 2 varities of sedum (small ones)
    I have "Gooseneck Loosestrife" and purple obediant plant (both are very invasive!)
    day lily- they are redish/orange - came from Lowe's-Indian something (or maybe Cherokee Autumn?) it's been so long, I forgot :))

let's post 'wants' I have lots of things if I just knew what is wanted

my two top wants:
    crocosmia -any color
    day lily- any color

see you soon,
    Linda (by the airport)

• nance
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone
    Just a note to say I will be there. I have to share:

Agapanthus Peter Pan
    Calla Lily White
    Campanula Latifolia
    Catnip
    Dianthus Firewitch
    Lambs Ear Helen Von Stein
    Queen Of the Prairie
    Veronica Sight Seeing
    I will be adding more next week.
    Nancy from Valley Station
    PS
    I will be bringing day llies for any one who wants any.

• wish2okc
    16 years ago

Not sure yet if I can make it. Hopefully can commit by next week. Long story. The weather here in SW Indiana has been awful too, but maybe its broken. Got 1/2inch of rain on Saturday and 3/4 this evening. I am thrilled.

I grew moon vine for the first time this year. My, what a rampant grower. Had my first bloom last week. Heavenly scent! My daturas just started blooming a couple of weeks ago.

If it turns out I can come to the swap will post what I have next week.

• dreamspirit
    16 years ago

Guess what? I have a bloom on my moon vine. I am so excited. I will definitely try to save some seeds for next spring's swap.

I don't have a list of wants, but will take anything. My garden is so sparse. I am looking forward to next Saturday.

• dreamspirit
    16 years ago

Marcia,
    Could you please e-mail me directions? I think I remember how to get there, but I'm not quite sure. Thanks.

Marla Jo
    ghost_hiker12@yahoo.com

• broodyjen
    16 years ago

Hey guys and gals! Not sure yet if I can come. We're selling horses and that means BUSY BUSY BUSY. Plus I'm not sure I have anything to bring. We still haven't moved yet. Hrrmph!

But maybe I'll try to make it.

Jen

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Does everyone have the directions to my house? My garden still look miserable...I just could not keep up with the heat and watering.
    Nance....I would love to have some of the Dianthus Firewitch.
    I think we have about 5-6 people coming....

• wish2okc
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry that I can't come! Not that I have much to swap after this killer of a summer. Have a wonderful time and thanks Marcia for hosting.

• nance
    16 years ago

Hi
    Marica, I got your plants for you.
    Please post if any one wants day lilies or send me an e mail.
    Nancy from Valley Stations

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Nancy.....I am not sure how many people will be coming...it looks like 4 as of now. This year has been a "killer" on everyone's yard.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA