Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Going Vertical in the Ohio Valley

bakemom_gw
19 years ago

Gina's response to Alison's post gave me a light bulb! What have you been growing vertically this season and what has worked. What has not?

I have grown love in a puff, moonflower vine, hyacinth bean vine, various morning glories and cypress vine. I am in love with each and every one of them. I plan to add white hyacinth bean vine to my moon garden in the spring.

I bought a huge willow teepee at Baker's Acres with Mimi and Beverly (remember that?) and much to my dismay, the wind took off with it with all my vines attached. I lost my moonflowers and hyacinth beans. Rats. I'm stocking up on seeds for spring to re-introduce those plants.

My clematis looks crummy and my honeysuckle looks stalled and mildewy. I wish my trumpet vine would bloom! My procelain vine is huge, but not much going on otherwise.

What are YOU growing and how did it do?

Comments (3)

• plantsnobin
    19 years ago

Just a word of caution about a couple of vines you mentioned. The cypress vine- I grew this maybe ten years ago from seed, and still can't get rid of it all. The hummingbirds do like it, but it seeds so bad and grows so quickly that it can choke out more desirable plants before you know it. The trumpet vine is also impossible to kill, and can be very stingy with bloom. Another one I have ben trying to kill for years. I have the porcelain vine, and had read that it could take over, and didn't believe it until this year. It is a monster, and covered in wasps. Neat berries, though. My clematis also aren't doing very well this year. We always have next year to look forward to, though. I am personnaly ready for frost. Tired of the heat and bugs.

• storygardener
    19 years ago

My clematis are doing pretty well in general - I have 10 of them.(never counted before) Right now my clematis sweet autumn is HUGE and about to bloom. It's on the end. corner & part of the top of my pergola and looks great.My Polish Spirit Clematis is still blooming from late spring.

Sorry to hear about the "runaway" teepee. I "fastened" mine in with old plant tags. Thet work like huge hairpins and have worked well keeping it in place. I got one of the short clematis (one from Russia, I think) to grow on it. It's working out well.

But, my lonicera heckrotti (pretty pink and yellow honeysuckle) is all full of powdery mildew and defoliating. I may wack it back shortly.

I grow an akebia on the lattice of the compost bin "surround" - it's really happy. Somethings been eating my hyacinth bean plant - but, I am getting flowers and pods.

My morning glories are glorious and always remind me that they need a "world of there own" because they wind up growing everywhere.

My porcalain vine looks good, but never does anything. It might have to go.

I LOVE my circle swirlly bamboo thingy where I am growing a white black eyed susan vine. It looks so COOL! (thanks to Alison and the swap)

good post..........Beverly

• alison
    19 years ago

Moonflower vine -- I'm so envious! I can never get this one to grow. I'll try WS some this year, since they always sprout but rot and die shortly thereafter.

I've got a lot of vines, altho' not as many as I have in some years.

Blind black-eyed susans, sweet peas, cypress vines and some volunteer cinnamon vines on string trellises along a fence

sweet autumn clematis on a string trellis on the fence,
    another one covering a 4'x15' wire trellis up the back steps

rouguchi clematis scrambling thru roses in front and back (both of which seem to have that powdery crud)

"Polish Spirit" clematis growing up a drainpipe, and another growing up a rose-of-sharon trained like a tree

My Shadow Dancer rose, at the age of five, is finally becoming the climber it was supposed to be, and made it to about 7' this summer in a tiny bed against the porch pillar.

Those are the ones that grow up -- I've also got baskets of vinca, purple queen, and jasmine that are dripping down, making a pleasant little curtain on the front porch.

What I really missed this year was scarlet runner beans. I love coming home and snacking on the flowers then the beans as I walk in the back yard, coming home from work. Between that and the basil and the mint, I've had dinner before I ever get inside!

Where in Indiana are you, PlantSnob? We've had a decidedly cool summer here, on a parallel with Indianapolis. Usually I'm with you tho' -- by the end of August the heat and humidity have done in my plants and me!

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!