Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michigoose_gw

Your Favorite/best Garden centers/nurseries/etc.

michigoose
18 years ago

Ok...I'm new, and mrgpag pointed out that I COULD have gone to some other nurseries on the way to Earthscapes, but since I am so new to the area, I have no idea which are good (and for what) and which carry just the run of the mill items.

So...Here's your opportunity to list your favorite places, and please tell us WHAT they carry and makes them your favorites. This will be a great service to the several of us who have been posting as newcomers.

Thanks so much for sharing your wealth of information.

Comments (13)

• lmariesteve
    18 years ago

Michigoose, If you don't mind traveling a little further, Berns Nursery in Middletown is fantastic. I usually spend more than I mean to! They have a great selection of annuals. The perennials are a little pricey, but then you don't have to pay shipping- so I guess it evens out. linda

• michigoose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Heck. I garden. I'll travel all over. I'll look for places wherever I happen to find myself for another reason....and don't forget, this is the WHOLE Ohio Valley, and then some...so keep on posting!

• alison
    18 years ago

I have not yet been there, but I know Baker's Acres (in -- Alxandria?) will be my favorite nursery.

Anyone that carries 14 varieties of thyme -- at one time, is #1 in my books!

• skyblue52
    18 years ago

HELLO I live in Dayton . But grow most everything from seed. I just posted about a plant swap at Wegerzyn on Siebenthaler Ave in Oct. on the trade area. I hope to get there.Skyblue52

• fennelgrl
    18 years ago

My list of un-favorites is probably longer:
    Home Depot
    Lowes (but I'll stoop to shopping there for $3.33 gallon perennials)
    Northgate Greenhouse (all annuals)
    Moeller's (too expensive)
    Rahn's (small perennial selection)
    Bloomin Garden Center (small selection AND expensive AND too far away)
    WalMart (everyone else finds great deals there, but not me)

My current favorite is Funke's. They have an enormous selection and everything is 50% off right now. On the downside, help is difficult to find, so it is not the place for an inexperienced gardener or someone who doesn't already know what they want.

What I'd LOVE to find is a nursery that regularly updates their website. I could save so much time if I could browse their inventory and check prices before spending my Saturday morning driving all over Cincinnati.

• michigoose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

fennel: where's Funkes?

• mrsgeekboy
    18 years ago

Funke's is in Cincinnati, not too far from I-75. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Funke's

• kowalleka
    14 years ago

Funke's used to be great, but he has pretty much downsized and is not stocking nearly as much stuff anymore.

Greenfield's is great for perennials. Biggest selection anywhere. Prices are high though. But if you have to have one of the newbies, that's the place to go.

Adopt-A-Plant is great. Lots of herbs and annuals. And lots of perennials. Used to be they only had the common perennials but I have seen their list for this year and they have lots of the new varieities that have just come out. Their prices are much lower on all their plants than most places. Plus I like the setting. Trees and benches and a swingset for the kids.

Northgate is good if all you're looking for is annuals. Same with AJ Rahn.

I would love to find a place that had all their current inventory online, too. But I imagine they're all too busy during that time of the year.

• juleecat
    14 years ago

Bakers Village Garden Center-near the Cols zoo......

• bakemom_gw
    14 years ago

Bakers Acres now and forever. Alexandria.

• kowalleka
    14 years ago

I would love to go to Bakers Acres. Have never made it up that far. But drool over their catalog all the time!

• lruthers
    14 years ago

I love Ianetti's Garden Center between Steubenville, OH and Avella, PA. They have a wide variety of healthy plants at good prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ianetti's Garden Center

• marilynl
    14 years ago

I really love De Monyes for annuals and they also have some unusual plants. Bakers Acres on Johnstown Road was wonderful 2 years ago but I found it really disapointing last year. I will give it a last try this year. Oakland has some interesting stuff too.

Sponsored