Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasonmtnman

Franks closing doors

JasonMtnMan
19 years ago

Today starts the liquidation of Frank's. :( They again have filed for bankruptsy.The 2nd time in about 3 yrs. Which means everything must go.

Sad news indeed. Because the Frank's in my area always had nice stuff.

Thought everyone would like to know.

Cheers

Jason

Comments (12)

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Hi Jason...I heard that yesterday. I always like Franks Nursery. I think when they stopped selling crafts - they lost many customers. Or, perhaps, they just couldn't compete with craft stores for crafts & box stores for plants. I really don't know. What I do know...is I've gotten many nice plants/shrubs/trees there over the years- in Ohio and when I was living in Michigan.

...Beverly

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I've been reading about it and think I'll pop over there tomorrow. If their potting soil is on sale, that would be great. It's nice for winter sowing.

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I went there today and while all sales are final, there's not much marked down. They said that Thursday when the newspaper ads come out they will know what's on sale. Strange. Is that typical?

• pkock
    19 years ago

Frank's is history? Wow - that was my first job ever, cashier at Frank's. I haven't been in one for many years, but the one where I worked is still there.

That'll be the 2nd company I worked for that went belly-up. Interesting. :-)

PK

• simpsopl
    19 years ago

Hubby & I stopped by the Latonia, KY store earlier today. Trees & Shrubs are only 10% off regular prices. Everything is priced differently according to the notice in the store. You have to look for the large signs near what you are interested in. Fertilizers are 30% off, patio furniture is 10% or 20% off (I can't remember which). The nursery stock is pretty picked over and high priced, even with the discount.

• sjm2757
    19 years ago

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was at the Frank's on Dublin-Granville Rd. the other day. Big signs that say "everything must go" but, judging from the discounts, they are not in too big a hurry to get rid of it. Bought some rolls of burlap and a couple of cacti. I guess I'll wait until the discounts go up.

• Magret
    19 years ago

The last few times I visited a Franks' I found unhelpful (not rude, just not knowledgeable) staff, a dirty store and plants that needed attention. That was at the Frank's way out on East Broad Street. I used to love Frank's.

• gillespiegardens
    19 years ago

hello simpsopl! we are neighbors! i live in Bethel just up the road from you and the eastgate franks is just as bad as the columbus stores mentioned above. unhelpful clerks, dirty, poor plant stock and unclear pricing. i will say that the montgomery road franks has the best selections i have ever seen in a franks. anyways i stopped in at the eastgate one a month ago not knowing they were going out of business and i bought some wedding candles at full price and they stamped the receipt 'seasonal merchandise - all clearance sales final.' when i asked what was up with that as one... it wasnt seasonal and two... it was full price... they said it was the only final sales stamp they had... as they were going out of business. there were no signs up about them closing or any clearance prices signs etc. it just irritated me

• sjm2757
    19 years ago

Maybe having them go out of business is a good thing (to quote Martha Stewart)!!

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

In defense of Frank's - while it has never been one of my main sources of plants or garden supplies, they did have a good early season sale each year on seeds (including some of the more unusual stuff as offered by seedsmen including Unwin's), and you could sometimes find good deals on "distressed" plants.

The "going out of business sale" with its 10% discounts hasn't been enough to gain my interest.

• ohiogal
    19 years ago

Are they closed yet?

Bonnie in Newark

• skyblue52
    19 years ago

I went to the one in HUber Heights off 70. They said mid Dec.