Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing palms in S Ohio?

Posted by andymc499 6b/7a (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 07 at 10:18

I was just wondering. I want to try growing some.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing palms in S Ohio?

Yep, check out Jurrasicdaytons photos. Also, at Miami U., in Oxford, Dr. Franko does research growing cold hardy balms, bananas, etc. Check out his book "Palms Won't Grow Here and Other Myths". Also, if you check out the Tropicalesque group at gardenweb, there are lot's of folk who grow cold hardy palms there. I attempted it one year and got behind on the weeds. My hubby thought he was helping and weed wacked my baby palm...oh well. Try some windmills. Sometimes, Natorps carries cold hardy palms. Wait till spring and put them in as soon as possible.

o

Okay, thanks! I actually had a trachycarpus takil(or so I thought, I think it was really a wagnerius) for a couple years outside until the fungus got it. I ignorantly wrapped it with plastic to keep it dry, and condensation built up. So it's an o well for me too. But, I would love to try some more palms and/or other hardy tropicals. I was just wanting to see if anyone else in my area had success. I can't wait til spring now!

o

I planted out two seed-grown palms in June - a Trachycarpus latisectus (about two feet tall) and a 1.5 foot needle palm (R. hystrix).

They're both in a sheltered spot (up near the south wall of the house)* but I'm on the verge of playing it safe and digging them up to take indoors for another winter.

*I have a hardy fig variety, Nandina 'Moyer's Red' and Amorphophallus konjac that have all overwintered well in that same general location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here