Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Poisonous weed in Veggie Patch

Posted by cowthree Z5 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 11:55

Hi! I had left my veggie patch untended for a few weeks and was clearing it out today, noticed a plant about 5 feet tall with spiny fruits. Upon googling it, I found out that it was the datura plant, which is apparently very poisonous. I have a small child at home - how can I best remove and destroy this plant? Also, are all the vegetables in my patch doomed?? I want to err on the side of caution and remove all my vegetable plants :( (a nice crop of tomato, cucumbers and peppers). I'm also concerned if any other part of the plant could be poisonous and we need to take extra care when removing it...

Thanks for all help.
G3

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Poisonous weed in Veggie Patch

The plant is poisonous if ingested, so your veggies are fine.

I have a small child at home - how can I best remove and destroy this plant?
if it is quite big, just trim it down and dig it out if possible and discard in a trash bag, or somewhere where the small child will not get into it. I would probably trim off the prickly balls (seed pods) first and put them in a bag for discarding, to be sure none drop that could then sprout next year.

I was going to refer you to the Vegetable Forum, but see you have found it and have numerous good replies there.

Sue

o
RE: Help! Poisonous weed in Veggie Patch

Thanks Sue! You are right, I did get a great number of good replies there. Thanks so much for your tips on how to remove it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here