Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree memorial reccomendations?

Posted by alison 5/OH (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 07 at 13:14

A co-worker of mine recently passed away unexpectedly. We have a tradition of planting something in our front yard at work to commemorate folks. In the past we've planted peach trees, because they're something that provides for everyone, and the peach is the symbol of longevity. But if we add another peach we're going to start looking like an orchard. (Not to mention a kinda scary place to work!)

I'm looking for suggestions for this one. The guy was a noted local expert on Celtic music, and I thought we could plant a rowan near our front door. (Or perhaps espaliered against a wall?) It has a long history in the British Isles as a magical tree, has beautiful flowers in the spring and fruit long into winter, plus the birds and butterflies apparently love it.

We have a south facing slope that has full sun. Extremely sharp drainage, so we have a lot of prairie plants and Mediterraneans there. The grounds crew would probably rather we didn't plant a tree in the middle of the lawn, so we're looking for something that can be planted along the orange brick building. The doorway is a fairly narrow space (4-5 feet?) so if we plant something there, we need something that grows a trunk for at least 6-7 feet before branching out.

A lot of you have far more experience with trees than I do -- let me know what you'd suggest. And let me know how much realistic root room I should plan on. (I'm used to cramming small plants in to small spaces - I want to make sure this tree has plenty of room!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree memorial reccomendations?

I don't know the answer, but I know what I would do for that question - call Arbor, Inc. We are long time customers of this service and they are generous with their advice. I don't know what they would say, but you can say you are a friend of mine (Karen McCoy, Upper Arlington) and that I suggested you call because they are so helpful.

The worst they can say is no.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here