Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to kill Rose Of Sharon??

Posted by allison_08 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 14:13

Hello everyone. I am new to this site, and I hope you can help. I have done a quick search on Rose of Sharon, and don't really seem to have come up with a good answer.

My mom is trying to clean up our back yard right now. Our neighbor had Rose of Sharon bushes that seeded into our yard, and now we seem to have a forest! This summer my mom had two huge trees, one a pine, cut down in our back yard and these Rose of Sharon had been growing in amongst the trees and we didn't know! We have cut them all down to the ground, some are the size of pencils, others much larger. Some we have dug out, some we can't due to their size.

Any sure fire way to get rid of them? I think my mom has spent about $100 in weed killer to no avail. She's afraid if we do get them all dug out that they are just going to come back. Can anyone help?? Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to kill Rose Of Sharon??

She might have to move....

No really, just use Round Up or Weed Be Gone if they are growing in the grass. If you use Round Up, take a folded piece of corragated cordboard to put around the plant to protect other plants from the spray.

Good luck!

o

Round-up does the trick!

o

Round up isn't killing the rose of sharon's that have invaded my poor yard. Nothing seems to do the trick. I pull them up while they are small but some of the large ones just won't die. HELP!

PS yes I see this thread is old but maybe someone can still help.

o

Sometimes when things are hard to get rid of you must spray multiple times about a week apart. If round-up does not do the trick try ortho weed and brush killer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here