Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Bulbs/Pansy Planting Time

Posted by ces797 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 9, 09 at 15:01

Howdy fellow Ohioans.
I am in Columbus and have purchased some daffodil bulbs that I want to plant. I know it may be still a bit too warm but here is my dillema. I want to plant on either side of my walkway daffodils for spring and directly above those bulbs I want to try some pansies. I read an OSU story that trialed the hardiness of pansies in Ohio and this report said to plant pansies by mid September (or earlier) so plants can establish roots and have higher hopes of returning in the Spring. Here is the story if your interested

http://extension.osu.edu/~news/story.php?id=2031

If I go ahead and plant both soon, do I have a higher risk of the daffodil bulbs rotting? Reason being is because after I plant the pansies I assume I will be doing a somewhat frequent watering routine to keep going until we are consistently in the 50's/60's here. That water will obviously drain down to where the daffodil bulbs are.

Maybe I'm overthinking it and should just do it.
Last year I planted Allium bulbs in August and they all came up in Spring and bloomed. (albeit I was not watering them regularly)

Appreciate any helpful information!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Bulbs/Pansy Planting Time

• Posted by raee zone 5-6 OH (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 18, 09 at 21:18

Hi,

I think you are overthinking it. Just go ahead & plant the daffs. You surely won't be giving the pansies that much water, so much that a bulb planted more deeply couldn't tolerate it, unless you are planting them in a pan or something.

Good luck, Raee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here