Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Cheap potting soil

alison
19 years ago

Hope this isn't verbotten, but I thought I'd pass along the info that Oakland Plants has got their Pro-Mix potting soil on sale for $2 a bag.

Potting soil is always a struggle for me (I end up amending whatever I get and still not being satisfied), but a lot of folks on the Winter Sowing forum swear by the Pro-Mix, so I bought 6 bags I'm going to keep in the basement for winter sowing.

Along with the pop bottles, the milk jugs......

Comments (5)

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I used it and I liked the premier I think. It dries out faster, but that wasn't an issue really this last spring. I think it's nice stuff for the early plant outs and I would use it on poppies, bachelor buttons etc.

Things that remained longer in their containers for whatever reason, didn't do as well as the ones in Miracle Gro - not a huge difference, just not as vigorous. Promix is nice to work with and those compressed bales go a long way.

I think the people who were disappointed with it tried to use it as a longer-term potting soil rather than a seed starter.

Thanks Alison, that's a sale worth checking out!

• ohio_homegrown
    19 years ago

Alison, I too had a problem with potting soil and found the ProMix which i now use. Darn it i missed the sale. I'm not to happy with the bagged garden soils that i buy for putting in my flower beds and raised vegy beds. Do you know of a good source for bagged topsoil & manure. So far i think the Kmart's Hyponox Topsoil and Manure has worked the best for me. I also buy a block of spagnum peat moss to add to the mix. I really am not too impressed with Lowes, Walmart or Ohio Mulches stuff.

• alison
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You know, I thought it was a limited sale too, but when I stopped by to window shop yesterday, they still had it!

Picked up a few more bags. You know, just in case.....

• dudleydorite
    19 years ago

anybody happen to know who handles the promix in san antonio? seems the nearest place is houston and it costs too much to ship. would you be kind enough to e-mail me at dtroost@sbcglobal.com

thanks, dick

• therealKYgirl
    19 years ago

We don't have one of those stores around he, so I go to Wal-Mart and get the cheap stuff. (Now here's where the fun part coms in at,lol.)

You the take said soil, add about one 5 gallon bucket of fresh cow poop, and tons of nasty wet leaves, and add to one of those big plastic containers. Add water and cover for a few days, after that mix it all up really good and till into the soil.

I have used this stuff for years and now my real dirt is as rich and black as the regular potting soil. The only problem I have is that EVERYTHING wants to grow in my beds.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County