Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michigoose_gw

Oh WOW! What a place!

michigoose
18 years ago

I just got back from Earthscapes....and my purse is lightened, and my van was weighed down! Let me tell you, if you have never been, it is a haven for people interested in growing natives (including some fancy cultivars) plus some really, really cool non-natives. Prices are fantastic.

Bring a copy of Dirr's Hardy Plants and trees, your muck boots (some of the places were pretty sodden and slippy) and be amazed. Great prices, great selection...only I bought the last Stewartia pseudocamilia.... :) We'll see if I can make a go of it here.

My haul: 3 boysenberries, 3 acanthus mollis, a Parrotia persica, the stewartia, and a dwarf red buckeye. :) Anyone want to come and help me dig holes?

Here is a link that might be useful: Earthscapes

Comments (15)

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Very interesting website. Looks like some smart and interesting folks. What's a dwarf red buckeye? I have a red buckeye that grows 20-30 feet. Is that the same thing?

I am always interested in natives. Have fun digging!

• michigoose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No, I don't think so. The Dwarf red buckeye grows to about 10 feet-20 feet, but it can grow to 36 under perfect conditons. The Latin name is AESCULUS pavia. Here's a link that shows some about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf Red Buckeye

• Kymie17
    18 years ago

I'll come and help you... as long as you really only want to plant 2 of those acanthus mollis! The third one might find its way to my car as payment for labor... *wink*

• michigoose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

done Kymie! C'mon down, I'm in Troy. :)

• Kymie17
    18 years ago

Hmm... that was too easy. Now I'm suspicious, and wondering what's wrong with your third acanthus! lol.

I know how to find my way down to Troy, actually. I grew up in NW Ohio, in Putnam County (north from Lima, but West from Findlay) and went to school at the University of Dayton. I passed the Troy exits quite a bit during those 4-1/2 years!

• michigoose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nothing...I had a small one here I brought down, so now I have a total of 4...I can easily share. :)

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    18 years ago

since you were in the neighborhood - did you also stop by Greenfield Plant Farm - one of the premire Ohio perennial growers? And then there's Marvins Gardens just outside of Lebanon

• michigoose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lol...mrgpag, I didn't. I have NO idea where the best places are...perhaps I should start a thread...I think I will... To tell you the truth, I'm still clutching Mapquest directions in one hand and an OH map in the other, and driving with my knees (not really, but I usually take along someone to be a navigator....usually my terribly bored 12 year old.....

• Kymie17
    18 years ago

Oh WOW... I just had time to visit their site, Michigoose. I've never heard of them before but they seem to have a great selection. If only they had more pictures--but then, I'm always wanting more pictures, whether I'm reading a gardening book or visiting a website.

Earthscapes is now one of my many bookmarks...

• michigoose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If you are thinkng about pictures for Earthscapes, I have two books (pretty picture books, but really good reading as well): William Cullina's Native Trees, Vines and Shrubs, and Dirr's Guide to Hardy Trees. Both are great resources and definitely worth a check out from the library or a purchase. They have become my bibles.

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

michigoose:

earthscapes is a great place to find great prices on great plants. im so glad that you enjoyed your visit there.
    mrgpag mentioned greenfields and marvins organic gardens too. they are time very well spent!!!
    Sue
    "The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    18 years ago

So michigoose, did you get the stewartia you were looking for? In another thread you said something about Earthscape not having them or had never heard of them. If not, I've got a deal for you.

• michigoose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

lol, thanks for your offer mrgpag, I got a HUGE stewartia (the last one), a Parrotia, boysenberry, dwarf red buckeye, and something else....too bad I also got a stress fracture in my left metatarsal the next day.....Now, I'm struggling trying to get them in the ground....

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    18 years ago

The Good (about your plants)and the Bad (about your facture)

I knew I saw stewartia down there and a good size for the price if I remember.

• michigoose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It was strange that the staff didn't think they had it when I called.....I just hope I can get it in SOON. I might just cheat and dig anyway.....

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES