Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crimson Barberry

Posted by judijerpen z6aOH (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 20, 04 at 18:37

I have a row of crimson barberry bushes that have the lovely red new growth at the tops.They are fine if you look at them from the top. However, they are 4 feet tall now and spindly. All you notice are 2+ feet of bare branches. Should I prune them back? How much should I cut off, and when should I do it...fall, winter, spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crimson Barberry

I have them too, Mine have grown to at least 5' the past few years now. I have had to trim them these past couple of years to keep them below the house windows, they seem to get alot thicker when i do. I started selective trimming with pruners, now i use the electric hedge cutters because it would take me forever doing each branch. I've pruned after the fall color is about done and the leaves are half dropped and i have pruned in the middle of the summer to keep them from growing over the sidewalk. I have both varities tall and lower mound type, so go ahead and prune and i think they will thicken up for you. I would cut off a third.

o
RE: Crimson Barberry

Myself, I would prune in the spring and then again in the summer or as needed. At a certain point I usually stop so the new growth doesn't get nipped by frost. Barberry actually respond well to shearing. I use hand shears just because I can get better cuts (easier to keep hand shears sharp for me).
1/3rd is a good rule to follow if you have to do some significant hacking. Who knows, maybe 1/2 might be needed in this case. I wouldn't suggest taking that much off unless I actually saw the plant.

If you have a plant that has been maintained then just take off all the scraggly stuff and perhaps go into the plant about 2 inches.

I am a staunch advocate of pruning with hand pruners, but I wouldn't waste my time on barberry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here