Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lespedeza

Posted by GardenBrat z6 Southwest OH (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 6, 04 at 21:11

This year my Lespedeza is blooming like crazy. It always is spectacular with its masses of tiny orchid like purple flowers. But this year it's gone wild. I like it but my poor hydrangea tree next to it is not doing too well. I am afraid the lespedeza may be choking it. Can the lespedeza be trimmed now without damaging it?

Here is a link that might be useful: lespedeza

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lespedeza

I don't know the answer to your question, but I must say that is wonderful use of pavers. I love the stairs and the walls too. Your sedum is looking nice - I got hit with powderly mildew here and there and it looks like a war zone.

o
RE: Lespedeza

Thank you. We were happy the way the side patio pavers turned out. This is the walkout from our basement which is on the side of the house. I have a moon garden here with all white plants except the lespedeza which I think I am going to move to another garden in the Spring. I bought a white lespedeza which I am going to plant there instead.

I like the lespedeza trailing over the wall as that wall is about 7 foot tall. This year its kind of overgrown. I don't know if you can see it but there are planters on that wall which the lespedeza is kind of covering.

My 'Stardust' sedums which are the white flowered sedums in the picture are doing OK this year but my 'Matrona' sedums which are down by the water garden are not doing too well. This is the first time that they look bad.

I did get powdery mildew also on my azaleas, bee balm and some phlox. Normally I put cornmeal around them but got lazy this year and paid for it. At least it didn't happen until after the garden tours were over.

For some reason, this year was tough on my gardens and I don't know why.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here