Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roadtrip_gw

Planting on a hillside

roadtrip
19 years ago

Hello there!

I have just purchased a new home in the Cincinnati area and I have a few questions. Parts of the yard are on a pretty good slope, with the back yard having several places where the top soil and turf is being washed away. My biggest problem here is trying to mow the hillside, so I am looking for suggestions as to what types of plants I can use in this area to contain the erosion and make mowing the yard easier.

I'm concentrating on the front yard for now. There is a drainage ditch runs alongside the property line, cutting in toward my property in the back. This ditch will be replaced with covered drainage tile by the city in the near future. It does appear that there is a temporary easement on my property for heavy equipment, so I'm going to hold off to see the extent of the work to be done before taking on the back yard.

Here is a photo of my front yard and "slope" in question. This area gets a decent amount of afternoon sun, but appears pretty well drained. The turf here is in much better shape then the back, even though it's steeper.

If anyone could provide suggestions or assistance I'd appreciate it!!

Shannon

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1073718}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone