Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

I can't bid the annuals goodbye!

alison
19 years ago

It got down to the 30's Saturday night, and I know winter is coming. I'll be out of town the next two weekends, so this was the weekend I was supposed to cut everything down and back for the winter. Cut back the lemon balm, pull down the nasturtiums and BES and cypress vine and clematis. Rip up the tomato plants (which have produced quite a lot last week!) Dump all the hanging baskets in the compost pile.

But I can't! I can't say goodbye to the garden just yet!

I did get a couple of things taken care of. The key lime, the calamondin, three scented geraniums and the agapanthus went to work, to spend the winter in sunny windows.

The hibiscus tree, three more scented geraniums, the jasmine, rosemary and bay all moved into the apartment. All the pots and saucers got washed, and I think I got all the bugs out.

I took cuttings of the Purple Queen, vinca vine, even some of the roses.

Cut the remaining roses off the bushes, striped the petals and laid them out to dry. Harvested the last of the lemon verbena, and cut a lot of thyme for the winter.

Butter was on sale last week, so I softened about 1 1/2 lbs and mixed it with chiffonaded nasturtiums. Rolled the butter into little logs and put them in the freezer. Tonight, I'll vacuum seal them in individual bags, so I'll have "confetti butter" all winter.

What are you doing to say goodbye and tuck your garden in for the winter?

Comments (5)

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Started the coleus cuttings and sweet potato vines. Pulled up most of the balsam and collected seeds. Just running around and harvesting the last of the seed.

Wondering if my spanish flag vine will mature enough to collect seeds - arugh!

• sjm2757
    19 years ago

I have been bringing all my garden ornaments and statuary in to put away for the winter. Also bringing in my cacti that were sunning themselves (even though we don't see that much sun here) out of doors. Going to cover my annuals tonight and tomorrow night to see if I can get a couple more weeks of enjoyment out of them. I also have some potted daylilies that I have to protect this winter. Got that done over the weekend.

I will be sorry to put the garden to bed for the winter but I won't be sorry to put that @%*#$! lawn mower away this season. We've spent entirely too much time this summer mowing instead of enjoying the lawn. Why do we have either too much rain or too little? There, I've done my venting for today. Thanks for the outlet!!!

• alison
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I forgot the seeds! I've been collecting seeds for the last few weeks, as they ripen, and I have half a dozen glass prep bowls lined up on the mantel, airing. Yesterday I made some tea, and as I watched Much Ado About Nothing on TV, I made several dozen paper envelopes and packed up Malva Zebrina, white and fuschia 4:00s, genoa and lemon basil, forget-me-nots, cinnamon vine, BES and cypress vine.

Like looking at fat cans of preserves put up for the winter....

• Shiza
    19 years ago

Hahahahahaha!!!!! Bakemon......I must have you hooked! LOL
    Now....You might be better off, bring in one plant of each? I don't know why???? I've been having a hard time this time of year, to get them to root!
    I wondered, if it's because the stems on the Coleus, are so big?
    Be sure to spray those Sweet Potatoes, a few times too! Otherwise....you'll be battling the White Flys, all winter... (Wink)
    Shiza

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

You are correct madam! In fact, these are YOUR coleus as well as some others from Baker's Acres.

Yes indeedy I am hooked thanks to you! Mine seem to be rooting fine so far. We'll see.

What do I spray the sweet potatoes with? I've heard of the white fly problem.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!