Houzz Logo Print
kyme_gw

Bad winter for Wildlife

kyme
19 years ago

We all may need to put out extra feed.

Observers say state's squirrels are on the move

Byron Crawford

Kentucky may be witnessing the beginning of a rare migration of squirrels.

The unusually large number of squirrels being killed on highways and moving about on the ground in some areas could indicate the onset of a natural phenomenon that may occur only once in several decades.

Rough River outdoorsman and writer Mark Keller was astounded last week at the number of squirrels he found dead along a two-mile stretch of Dixie Highway near Fort Knox.

"From the Army tank at the bottom of the hill, near Muldraugh on (U.S.) 31W, to the light at the turnoff to Otter Creek, I counted 21 dead squirrels on the west side of the concrete divider and 51 on the east side," Keller said. "That's 72 squirrels in less than a two-mile stretch."

Jim Strader, host of WHAS Radio's Sunday-evening program "The Great Outdoors," has been getting calls about unusual squirrel movements for the past two weeks.

"There's a scarcity of nuts in many areas especially the late summer mast  and there's also a very high population of gray and fox squirrels due to the mild winters and super-abundant foods that we had the last two years," Strader said. "What I think we're seeing is a collision of those two things, causing the numbers of squirrels to have to forage out into new areas to find food."

Historical footnotes

Accounts of regional squirrel migrations may be found in some historical footnotes dating back more than 200 years.

Collins History of Kentucky devotes three brief sentences to "an astonishing emigration of squirrels" that took place from the vicinity of Kenton County, Ky., across the Ohio River in September 1801: "As many as 500 per day were killed as they crossed the river. A mild winter was prophesied from their moving northward."

The journals of Meriwether Lewis referenced a mid-September 1803 squirrel migration on the Ohio River between Wheeling, W.Va., and Marietta, Ohio, in which large numbers of squirrels were seen swimming north to south. The reasons were unclear to Lewis, since hickory nuts were plentiful on both sides of the Ohio.

In 1819, naturalist John Bachman described a migration band in Ohio that he said was 130 miles across. Smaller migrations were recorded in Missouri in 1947 and Arkansas in 1951.

John Morgan, small-game biologist with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources, says that the department has only anecdotal evidence of former squirrel migrations in this state, and that he has never witnessed such an event.

Mass movements rare

The generally accepted term "squirrel migration" is a scientific misnomer because it suggests annual movements, when in fact such mass movements are rare, Morgan said. Based on information he is receiving from hunters and wildlife staff members, however, he believes such a phenomenon may occur in Kentucky during the coming weeks.

"Nine squirrels were observed swimming across a lake in southeastern Kentucky, which is highly unusual. And a traveler heading from Louisville to Leitchfield observed over 100 dead squirrels on the road, which certainly implies mass movement," Morgan said. "I got a report from the president of a sportsmen's club out around Land Between the Lakes that the last time they had noticed this type of squirrel movement was in 1968. So that gives you an idea of how rare this is."

The department says data from hunters is of special importance this year in keeping track of squirrel numbers. You can find hunter logs online at: www.fw.ky.gov.

Byron Crawford's column appears on the Metro page Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays. You can reach him at (502) 582-4791 or e-mail him at bcrawford@courier-journal.com. You can also read his columns at www.courier-journal.com.

Comments (10)

• smartguy
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! I wonder where they are going??? : )

• thusie
    19 years ago

It seems there is a similar situation occurring in N. MI (fox squirrels swimming/washing up on beaches) and noticeable movement in Long Island NY (LI acorn crop failed). This is rare and usually not just one factor involved, food shortage, over population, some large change in habitat, can all figure into it. In some areas the power companies are doing major clearing of lines, might be enough, along with other issues, to push a 'emigration' (probably a more correct term than migration).

Where are they going? hard to say. Maybe now with more sophisticated tracking devices someone might decide to find out, since mass movement of squirrels also disrupts the predator base as well and they in turn can start moving.

I have been watching here and so far nothing out of the ordinary, hope it stays that way. There is always the fall shuffle which is the young of the year leaving natal areas to find to turf, but it is minor and hardly noticed.

• ohiogdnr
    19 years ago

Thanks for this thread...it's very interesting. I've noticed a general increse in the squirrel population in the area south of Dayton and have attributed it to an increased food supply the last couple of years. I've also notice a bit more road kill...I've been assuming they are going for water sources since it's pretty dry around here. It'll be interesting to keep an eye on this.

• Magret
    19 years ago

Gosh, this is very interesting reading. Just last week my favorite local radio personality was talking with our local gardening guru about the proliferation of squirrels. In our area they just seem to be very hard and quickly to harvest and store as many nuts as possible. And two weeks ago I had to make a trip from North Carolina home to Ohio on my own. I was amazed at how many poor little squirrels I saw had met their ends on the highway. I can't remember ever seeing squirrels on the highway like that. It makes me very sad to see that.

• Magret
    19 years ago

I meant they seem to be WORKING very hard and quickly to harvest and store nuts. Sorry.

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Boy, I noticed a huge increase in road kills. I was held hostage in my hood with two squirrels fighting over nuts in the middle of a suburban road. The car coming the other direction stopped and just laughed with me and threw up his hands. The dispute ended in less than a minute and all was clear to drive.

Mine are fat, overfed, spoiled squirrels. They play with the cats and don't seem overly hungry. I'm a little worried about them now. Who will exercise my cats in the spring?

• bolecke
    19 years ago

This post is a joke, right?

• gluecille
    19 years ago

I live in central Ky and have always had lots of squirrels in my yard. I heard about the low supply of food for them so when I ran across a bag of english walnuts I had stuffed way back in the cabinet I decided to put them out for them to eat. I haven't seen a squirrel in two weeks. They haven't touched the nuts. I thought maybe they just didn't like english walnuts but when I really got to noticing and watching I don't see any squirrels. I was planning on buying some corn or something but now my squirrels are missing, and, NO hunting has been going on.

• kyme
    Original Author
    19 years ago

bolecke,
    It is supposed to be true!
    Martha

• bolecke
    19 years ago

Just nature doing her thing then. If the wildlife is overpopulated then mother nature is just doing what she does best: culling the herd. It's unfortunate that those cute and destructive little tree rats will have to suffer, but nature can be cruel. Supplimental feeding will only delay the eventual...a wildlife wellfare state.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor