Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Winter Sowing in the Ohio Valley

bakemom_gw
17 years ago

Hey folks - the winter sowing season is coming up on 12/21 and the Ohio Valley is the perfect region to do it.

I am experimenting this year with some odd gaillardias, 4:00s, and echinacea paillida.

If any newbies need seed, email me and I can set you up for an SASBE.

Comments (13)

• gdionelli
    17 years ago

Amen to that recommendation. I WSed last year, and now there's no turning back! The Ohio Valley is perfect for it.

• hummerlova
    17 years ago

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here. I can't wait to get started on WS this year! This will be the third year I do it in earnest. The first year I was skeptical and didn't plant many containers. Yes the Ohio valley is perfect for wintersowing.

• storygardener
    17 years ago

I've also had good luck with Winter Sowing. It's a wonderful way to start seeds for the next season. Also, it's a great activity - yes, gardening in the winter. (although lately, the weather isn't very "wintery")

Join the fun!

• cindyoh
    17 years ago

Happy birthday, bakemom! Just had one myself (20th). Glad to hear we have the perfect place to wintersow and plan to get serious next week. Just found this forum and will check back here more often. I'm enjoying the posts here.

Cindy M

• michigoose
    17 years ago

I think I'm going to wait a bit...but I may put out the poppies and some angelica gigas....I'm going to TRY not to plant as much as I did last year....I just about killed myself!

• glenna_soohio
    17 years ago

Am I to late? I wanted to try Wsowing this year. I was a newbie to gardening this summer. Can't wait till spring to see my perennials. Keeping fingers crossed they do well. I have also been "lurking" this site all year but I just signed up and this is my first post. I saved some daylilly seed and ballon flower and I have some packets (daisy, lavender, etc.) that I found in the store late in the year. But with the Holiday bustle I had forgotten about Wsowing until I saw this post. (thank you for reminding us) I am in southern Ohio and we have not had much cold weather yet.

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Not to worry. You have plenty of time. I never bothered with planting in December, but I started in mid January or so, and kept at it through March.

• storygardener
    17 years ago

I"ll most likely be starting with a few in Feb...and alot in March.

I am working around a new grandbaby coming!!!

Beverly - storygardener

• gdionelli
    17 years ago

I'll be doing mine mostly in late January to early March. I was out of town on the solstice and so didn't try to do a solstice sowing.

I have WAY too many seeds...

The WS database isn't as complete as I'd like to get info on when to sow different things; I'm hoping all you zone 6ers will contribute your data this season! (and I'll continue to contribute as well!)

• storygardener
    17 years ago

Has anyone in the Ohio Valley started WS their annuals yet? With this unseasonably warm winter...I am feeling it's way too early. When are you starting your annuals?

(Heck, I did many of them too early last Feb. when it was a cold winter!)

Just curious.

Thanks....Beverly

• gdionelli
    17 years ago

Beverly, I haven't even started my perennials yet, although I'm hoping to in the next couple of weeks. Last year the earliest annuals I started were in March. I may experiment with a few earlier this year, but not many.

• storygardener
    17 years ago

HI gidionelli...I am getting the itchy WS fingers. I want to sow..but, need to wait.

Thanks.....B

• blackswamp_girl
    17 years ago

I think that I may start some of the hardier perennials this week: Echinops, asclepias, crocosmia, sempervivum, aubrieta, etc. I have a lot of milk cartons (my WS container of choice) saved up, and would like to do something to get started!

I have to keep myself from starting my annuals until the end of February, though. That's when I started them last year and it worked like a charm.

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia