Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering yellow bleeding heart vine

Posted by rosemctier z5/6 waynesburg PA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 24, 10 at 12:08

Hi all1 looking for some overwintering advice. I live in waynesburg pa, which is zone 6 (but i don't trust that because our winters are so variable and weird, so I look for things hardy to zone 5). i live in a log cabin, which is never by any stretch of the imagination warm-- it can be as cold inside as it is outside if no one is home to keep those home fires burning. I have 2 yellow bleeding heart vines in 15" pots that were given to me as gifts, so I would really like to keep them alive over the winter. i have found conflict info about their hardiness, ranging from one 5 to zone 8. who knows. any suggestions about how to store these plants so they might make it through the winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering yellow bleeding heart vine

• Posted by raee zone 5-6 OH (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 4, 10 at 13:35

You might try posting this in the vines forum, or do a search to see if overwintering has already been discussed. I see on that it should be hardy to 30F or so. It looks like a beautiful plant.

I do keep several tropicals inside over the winter (altho it never gets colder than 58F in my house!), some are dormant in pots in the cool basement (sweet potatoes, calla, dahlias, amaryllis) and others live in front of a sunny window being watered about once a week. I don't know which treatment would work for bleeding heart vine, but it sounds like it should be keep-able as long as your interior stays above 30F.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here