Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over wintering green and white vinca and golden creeping jenny

Posted by Alison 5/OH (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 18, 05 at 14:58

I plant these every year in baskets and pots on my front porch, but I wondered if I can over winter them?

Probably not in the baskets, right? Any tips?

They're not the most expensive plants to buy, but it would be nice to not have to shell out the money.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over wintering green and white vinca and golden creeping jenn

Yes...I over winter vinca vine every year. (You'll never have to buy any again!) Just plant them in the ground in the fall & dig and divide (if big enough) the next spring. They won't overwinter in a basket or small pot in my experience.

Absolutely...vinca in the ground in fall...more plants in the spring.

Beverly

o
RE: Over wintering green and white vinca and golden creeping jenn

I would do the same with the golden creeping Jenny, too. At work, it's been a groundcover in a small triangle bed for as long as I can remember--that's in the Akron area, which should be more like Zone 5 than my home's borderline Zone 6 up by the lake. I know that they don't replant it every year.

Both the vinca and the creeping Jenny can spread through a garden bed, though, so if you're like me and don't get around to digging up stuff in the spring as often as you'd like, I might sink a large plastic nursery pot in the ground and then plant them inside it. That will help keep them contained if you get behind on spring planting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here