Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerb2

what is new?

diggerb2
17 years ago

Hello, whats new in youre gardens.

2 weeks ago i did a fall clean-up seemed to be the right time to do it-- everything was looking sad. now i'm waiting for leaves to fall so i can rake and mulch and then i'm done for the year. i planted about 600 more bulbs for the spring that week too. i've had my first snow ( i think that qualifies for the first frost as well)after i cleaned up so no slime-y plant parts to trim for me :)!!!

last week end we went to frankenmuth MI to christmas shop (had to go there to see bronner's) it was nice drive and shopping really liked a lot of the curb side plantings that were left. Saw artichokes (or cardoons) planted with angel trumpets that was a wow!! bed.

planning on trying my luck at some large contatiners (bigger than whiskey barrels) for next year. We use a section of the drive as a patio and i thought 4 or 6 planters would be nice for defining the area and providing some screening. I's like to plant 2 with figs, 2 with spring flowering shrubs and 2 with dwarf alberta spruce and then grow bulbs and annuals under them. I am planning on using my 2 whiskey barrels for herbs-- so i can find what i want when i need them to cook.

thats all for now, hat are your plans?

diggerb

Comments (5)

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oh, i forgot to say that the reason i posted was that forum entries seem to be lacking here,. i was just at the great lakes forum and nothing is new for the last 6 weeks. is everyone busy with chores and harvesting and start of school
    and settling into a new season?
    diggerb

• gdionelli
    17 years ago

I'm just waiting for my bulbs to arrive. Some perennials (hostas for example) are looking pretty ratty, but not ready for me to trim all the way down. I still have a few roses in bloom; lavender has put out some new blossoms, perovskia is still going strong. Gaillardia "Fanfare" and a few brave annuals are still going, too. But my favorite place is the shady side of the house where the Japanese toad lilies are in full bloom.

Leaves are falling fast, but we're going to wait a week or so before tackling them! Meanwhile, I'm wrapping up seed-trading (have way too many seeds!) and preparing my wintersowing containers.

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Well...I vowed not to plant a single more plant, then I went to Stutzman's in Yellow Springs and bought 9 miniature chamaecyprus...followed by three tiny cotoneasters and three blue star juniper....so all monday I planted...again. I'm in the clean up mode. Flipping pots and trying to get all the canna which multiplied like crazy and the dahlias packed away. Right now they're sitting on the sun porch. Not good.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Well it seems that so many days are spent watching it rain, and just end up surfing GW and stuff.

Yesterday did happen to be wonderful and warm, and I packaged 5 boxes of plants to go out, took them to the PO, and just stayed the rest of the day in town shopping. I seldome shop.

I still have a few things to plant yet, and a ton of cleanup work to do, if the weather ever cooperates and the spirit moves me. Have some bulbs I'd like to divide and move too, if I can find them.

I'm all gung ho on seeds trading, and the thought of being a first time winter sower.

They say it is addictive, and I already believe that.

Sue

• storygardener
    17 years ago

Thank goodness everything is planted - thanks to my DH. I've been harvesting seeds for WS. The kids in the neighborhood help me with a bit of fall cleanup - it's amazing how much "help" a 3 year can be for a nickel & he's thrilled. But - it's the older siblings and other kidss that REALLY help.