Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luke_oh

Are you there?

luke_oh
14 years ago

I'd like to see this forum be more active. I live in NE Ohio and the area this forum covers would be of interest to me. I see that the last couple of postings had no responses. Let's try to get it moving. Anyone interested? Luke

Comments (12)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Hi Luke in OH,

I am more active here, as are others at different times of the year. I've been running behind all year, gardening wise, and have so much to do and tons (well hundreds and hundreds anyway) of daffodils and a few other spring bulbs to plant.

Did you get your small peach orchard planted this past spring, or is that slated for 2010? What varieties did you plant, or are you planning to plant. I'd love to have a couple of good peach trees for fresh peaches. Can you recommend some?

Sue

• luke_oh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Sue, Yes, I planted 15 peach trees this spring and all but one is doing fine. I'll replace it next spring along with some sweet cheeries and a few apple trees. As for a recommendation I havn't got any fruit yet, of course, but I planted 3 different varieties of the PF(Paul Friday)trees. You might google him to see what he has developed. Peaches are a little fragile in this area, but I'm trying it anyway. I have a good source for my trees that I'm happy with. Schlabach's Nursery in NY. they are an Amish family that I knew here in this area before they moved to Ny about 8 years ago. David is the father and very knowledgeable, he's now doing research for Cornell University. His trees are very reasonably priced and good quality. I can get more info for you if your interested. I planted 10 lbs of garlic today and pulled my fall beets. I think that this may be the last of the nice weather. You will be happy that you planted those daffodils next spring.

Luke

• katbird
    14 years ago

I used to be on GW alot some years ago.. life got busy and I didn't have the time to stop in much, but your right.. even then it was too quiet.. maybe this will stir some interest.., and yes I lurk alot.. usually reading the how to posts..lol.

• luke_oh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Katbird, Thanks for responding. I just recently have the time to spend on GW myself. I retired a little over a year ago and now have the time to spend in my garden. GW is like an extension of my garden, when it's either bad weather or darkness that prevents me from being outside. Please let us know what your gardening interests are I'm sure that you have alot of info to share after reading all of those" How To" posts.

• Cher
    14 years ago

I am in Dayton and would also like to see this area do a little more. I check in on occasion to see if anything is happening. I think because of the top 2 links that people come in and think nothing is going on. They should probably be moved down or maybe that happens automatically?

Have been cutting back everything here this week except the Mums which will do next month late. Still have some blooms on a few shrubs but expect this to be the end of all that.

I do have a Dwarf Plum tree that I planted last year. Should be a couple more years before it produces but it did well this year in growing.
    CH

• luke_oh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chohio, I plan to planting more friut trees this spring. Maby a couple of plums. I heard from a fruit tree nurseryman that they are finding that plums have very high antioxidant qualities, even higher than blueberries. Don't have facts to back this up, but sounds interesting. What variety did you plant?

• Cher
    14 years ago

Luke as far as I know the dwarf's don't have individual names. I love Plums and I needed something small so specifically did a search for a dwarf. Suppose to only get 6-8 foot at maturity. Just put it in last fall and didn't expect much growth this year and height wise it didn't but it filled out completely. To be honest I didn't expect it to do so well since I got it from Direct Gardening which is the only place I could find a dwarf. I was really surprised that it's done so well. If you are putting in full size fruit trees though you would not want a dwarf as you would think it was a baby. :)
    CH

• diggerb2
    14 years ago

Hi luke,
    I live in the Akron area. I usually divide my time on the ohio valley forum-- where people are friendly and live in the 'region' or on the great lakes forum-- where you get
    folks from canada, minnesota and wisconsin. neither zero in on the exact gardening experience we have here in NE Ohio. It would be nice to have a forum that addresses the needs of those that live in the great lakes snow belt--
    that strip from gary indiana to niagara new york and inland about 60 miles.

still its nice to have some one else in NE ohio. You can also search for members by clicking on the 'members pages'
    tab at the bottom of the screen-- which allows you to search for members based on the state they live in. there used to be a 'zone buddies' feature that allowed you to search for members based on their gardening zone and then by state and or zip code-- but i don't seem to be able to find it.

one of the nice things that happens in ohio, is the central ohio plant swap in late spring (usually may) that
    is organized by 'storygardener' and 'princessmimi' it takes place in dublin, ohio (west side of columbus) and draws a large number of people (200+) and plants. its fun to meet the people that you correspond with in the forum.

i just started a new job and i've been doing a lot of genealogy work lately so i haven't been on the forums-- especially since this year was definitely not a 'garden year' a lot of people south of route 70 still have a full month of gardening left. i haven't started any clean-up yet since i'm waiting on the hickories, oaks and norway maples to drop their leaves!!!!! hopefully before snow.

i know peaches do well in the columbus area and when i was a kid we used to pick them in the orchards that were up in
    lake and ashtabula county. same with cherries. are you planting sweet and sour cherries? there are some plum cherry hybrids that would intrigue me to grow. if you are growing cherries you might consider planting a mulberry or two so the birds eat those instead of your cherries-- birds like mulberries better than cherries and raspberries and blueberries. (i could live with purple bird poop better that i could without a good crop of my fruit. another thing you might try to grow are apricots-- i used to live in an old apricot orchard when i lived in Aurora, Illinois (west of chicago).

more later
    Bill

• luke_oh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Bill, Yes, I live just west of you in Wadsworth. Thanks for all of the information. I guess that the plant swap info will be posted on this forum? I have a daughter that lives in New Albany and visit ofter. I'd like to make the show. But, it's not practical for me to plan 7 months in advance. I plan to plant sweet cherries and I have considered apricots. I do have a couple of mulberry trees around and you are right that the birds like them more than my blueberries. Take Care, Luke

• katbird
    14 years ago

I sometimes hang out in the winter forum, when I am bored and need inspiration.. I now live at my daughter and son n laws and am limited on the gardening, however, it doesn't mean that I am not around in here.. I work alot and that limits things as well..
    I want to revamp the front part of their home, they have some huge boxwoods that they want to get rid of and I agree it would make the front look alot nicer.. if anyone is interested in them they would have to dig them up and that is gonna be a job.. but let me know..

• diggerb2
    14 years ago

hey Luke whats up in Wadsworth? a just for fun winter activity in your area are the winter seminars thay have at Dayton Nurseries. Have you heard of the place? www.daytonnursery.com
    ohio vally really seems dead this season-- but i've been doing a lot of genealogy research and have been working as well--- work just really interfers with my pursuit of knowledge.

Bill

• luke_oh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Bill, Yes, I've heard of Dayton Nursery. It's just down the road from my inlaws. I checked out their web site a few days ago. There is a seminar scheduled for fruit and berries this winter. I'm thinking about going. I'm going to be selling blueberry and raspberry plants this spring. I'll also be planting 30 blueberries and black raspberries. I planted the reds last spring. My wife is retiring this year and she is planting a cut flower garden. I had to give up part of my veg. garden.

Luke

Sponsored