Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why Are There No Regional Gardening Books For The Ohio Valley?

Posted by midnightstorm Zone 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 13, 06 at 21:14

I just moved to Huntington, West Virginia which is located right where the states of Ohio, West Virginia, and Kentucky meet. I am looking for a month-by-month gardening book for this area. Can anyone recommend any?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why Are There No Regional Gardening Books For The Ohio Valley

there is such a book for gardening in ohio which is really great. you might use it an use references for SE ohio. or just southern ohio. you might want to look for something about appalacia (sp)too. isn't there a refgerence for WVA?
how about contacting your local garden club(s) of county extension agent?
diggerb

o

I meant to check my bookshelf last night, and forgot -- but I know there are a lot of region specific gardening books.

Denny McKeown from Cincinnati has a host of books; Debra Knapke and Alison Beck have a series of guides to plants for the Midwest, and I tink they have a month-by-month as well. Jan Riggenbach, a newspaper columnist has a great book with the all-encompassing title of Midwest Gardener's Handbook: The What, Where, When, How & Why of Gardening in the Midwest -- makes you wonder if there's anything left to ask!

One of my all-time favorites is Diane Heilenman's Gardening in the Lower Midwest: A Practical Guide to the New Zones 5 and 6. Her writing is fantastic, like having a very experienced older friend walking oyu thru the garden. She calls the area "The Zombie Zones" because of the uncertain temps in winter and summer.

I'm sure there's a lot more out there, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Denny McKeown on Amazon

o

Diane is a feature writer on plants, gardening, and related subjects for the Courier Journal in Louisville. That is why her book is so readable -- she's a professional writer!

o

Books by authors based in this general area include The Well Tended Perennial Garden (by Tracy DiSabato-Aust, from the Columbus area) and a couple by a Lexington, KY-based author, Ezra Hazzard, including Perennials For The Lower Midwest and Trees, Shrubs and Roses for Midwest Gardens.

Having lived and gardened in Huntington, Lexington and Columbus, I don't think there's too much difference among these places, which are all within a half USDA zone or so of each other and otherwise have similar growing conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here