Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roadtrip_gw

Planting suggestions...

roadtrip
18 years ago

The city of Cincinnati has completed a rain water runoff project and while the area isn't on my property, I have been wondering what type of planting suggestions I can give my neighbor. I'm not sure what the neighbors plans are, but it would be really nice to offer up some suggestions.

The ground has been heavly compacted from dozers and 6-8 inches of topsoil laid down on top and seeded. Is there any hope of growing anything here with the compaction? There has been heavy equipment working working the area for the last 3-4 months so I can only assume it's really bad.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Shannon

Comments (5)

• vyrian
    18 years ago

How about some annuals the first year (or even perennials from seed) that will develop vigorous root structures to loosen up the top few inches of soil? It may also help to put down some leaves, compost, and mulch to keep the topsoil down and help it retain moisture.

• roadtrip
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions.. part of the problem is the area is quite large. I'm guessing 30' x 80', so around 2400 square feet of open lawn that creates a "pocket" going back into the woodland area. The neighbors house is surrounded by trees and sits up on a little hill.

There is a Walnut on life support and I really don't think it will last too much longer. The city took down 4 or 5 trees down in the area, including a really pretty Weeping Willow. Now it looks barren and it has some nice sweeping/rolling terrain as it leads back into the woods, but there is something missing.

Also an added problem is planting anything not only on the compacted dirt, but also dealing with the easement and drainage tile buried below.

Here's a little diagram.. neighbors house is on the right, up on a little hill, my property is to the left with the driveway about 6 feet off the property line. There is a slight depression that used to be the drainage ditch which is now replaced with the buried tile. The city plans didn't call for filling in the old ditch so there has been some talk between us about getting some dirt brought in to fill the depression so rainwater dosn't continue to collect here during hard rains.

There is a small line of trees about half way back, starts about where the utility pole is and goes all the way back to the woods.

Hope this helps explain it a little better!
    Shan

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

I don't really have a handle on what you are dealing with, but if you are talking about just basic bedding plants, those drought-tolerant favorites come to mind:

Sedums
    Russian Sage
    Echinacea
    Gaillardia
    Nepeta
    grasses
    daylilies
    rudbeckias.

• roadtrip
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Basically, it's taking an open lawn area (2400+ Sq Ft.) like this and adding some interest to it. The area is too large to create massive planting beds and I'm not even sure that this is what my neighbor wants. Perhaps some tough trees to suggest that would tollerate the compacted/clay soil.

I know they like the woodland type landscape as that's how the rest of the property is. Minimal lawn up next to the house so I'm guessing the large amount of lawn to tend to won't really be a "blessing" so I'm just gathering some ideas to pass along.

They may really like it the way it is, but I figure it couldn't hurt to suggest some things and seeing I have to look at it as well.. what do I have to loose.

Shannon

• vyrian
    18 years ago

Walnuts are pretty tough trees!! You could also try hickory nut trees, which are related to the walnut. Buckeyes are also pretty tough. Hmmm... But given the allelopathic tendencies of your existing walnut tree, it might be easier to add some paving stones and large potted bushes.

-CLK

Sponsored