Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poshspace

Looking for Large Evergreens for Privacy

poshspace
16 years ago

Hi, we are fairly new to Columbus (moved here from the New Orleans area about a year ago)--we need three large evergreen trees as a privacy screen--our porch looks right into the neighbor's office and MBR..went to a couple of places today--they mentioned that it would be a week or so before the "Fall digs" get underway--any suggestions of evergreens would be appreciated and WHERE to order them--thinking 10-12 feet--the area in which we live has very mature trees--think 1960...so would be in keeping with the rest of the landscape.

Again thanks,

Susan

Comments (5)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    16 years ago

Susan, There are many place to get larger trees in the columbus area. Retail nurseries include Oakland,(and they have an operation slightly north of Polaris which is devoted to trees) Andersons, Straders, Eastside, more that I can't think of at the moment; check the yellow pages. I have purchased from all mentioned & been happy. There are also usually ads in the Sunday classifieds at this time of year for larger trees & lots of evergreens. Call around for the sizes, varieties and prices. Happy hunting.

Raee

PS
    Arborvitae do very well here, different varieties grow to different heights so know how tall you want them to end up. Same for spruces. Eastern red cedar are the native trees that you see along the freeways. I've had trouble with junipers, myself, but they are very attractive.

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Ditto. I recommend Oakland. They did my Norwegian spruce privacy screen and guarantee their plants - and they make good on that guarantee cheerfully and promptly. Emerald green arbovitae work fine on a smaller scale too and my hood is full of those. I think the trick with the arboviate is to stagger them one back and one forward in a zig zag to make it look more natural rather than a bunch of green soldiers.

Good luck. Remember, if you are planting large items you are living with them and their problems if they are done incorrectly. I am a "get it done right the first time" girl when it comes to the "bones" of my yard. On the other hand, I rip smaller plants out and move little stuff at my whim. It's much easier and cheaper (darn near free).

• poshspace
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Oakland it is..they charge half the price of the tree to plant and deliver..which seems high but as bakemom points out the guarantee makes it worth it..
    Thanks again.
    Susan

• picea
    16 years ago

If the 12' is regarding the size of the plant that you are purchasing and you want them to get taller I would look at Oriental and serbian spruces. You could also go out to Dawes Arboretum to see what type of evergreens do well in the Columbus area and determine what you like. If you want something thats a little different and not what all your neighbors have check out Dannaher's nursery.

David

• diggerb2
    16 years ago

susan,
    half the price of the tree for delivery and planting is what i've usually paid, but that includes the gaurantee.
    if you are getting more than 1 tree/plant at a time they may adjust the 'delivery' part of the fee.
    i usually buy 'charlie brown' trees to get a much larger size than i can afford and have the nursery deliver and plant-- mine will offer a 1 year gaurantee if they do the work on a charlie brown-- the full price plants come with 5
    years andf they check back each season. ( i have a great nursery here in NEO)

diggerb

PS a charlie brown is a sad sack of a plant-- some how damaged that can't be sold at full price. I got an 8 foot
    japanese maple with a 4 foot rootball for $92. because only one side of the tree looked good after a big branch got torn off the back side. I had them plant the back side to the fence after thanksgiving--it's huge and beautiful and survived. But it cost me over $300 to have planted.

Sponsored