Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

What's blooming in your November garden?

storygardener
18 years ago

After these past several hard frosts most of my annuals are gone...but, I can find pockets of flowers here and there:

Buddlea Honeycomb, Mexican Hat, Pennysworth Daylily, Gailardia Goblin, pink mini rose, mums, monkshood, lamium, Japanese Anemone, Sweet Kate spiderwort, cranesbills Rozanne & Buxtom Blue, Kalemeris, Valerian and the last of the annuals (a few petunias, diascus (sp) & red verbena).

How about your garden? What's hanging on for you?

Beverly

Comments (18)

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Gaura, stokesia, my grasses ( :) ), ornamental cabbage, mums (my very late Nov. blooming mum isn't even ready to start yet), landscaping rose, some of my rudebekia, burnette, my cimicifuga would be blooming if the drought hadn't fried it. Some of my toad lillies. I think that's it, but I will have to take another look since you asked.

Do sore backs from planting count as a bloomer?

• sage_lover
    18 years ago

Purple Dome aster, a Toadlily, a few Happy Returns daylily.

Oh, almost forgot, Knock out roses are STILL blooming their ###es off! Very impressive, even if they are already on the verge of over-used.

• kqcrna
    18 years ago

My nasturtium are going like gangbusters. And giving me lots of seeds for next year, too.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    18 years ago

My nasturium were going like gangbusters until a freeze. They were 6 feet in diameter. Well, the ones I had pulled up and laid on a pile under a tree are still blooming!

Blue salvia and some rose blooms are about the only thing left now.

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

My obedient plant is still performing. As you saw, I have the perfect place for those now - parked between two Norwegian Spruces. Seems to keep those wanderers in check.

My gaillardias are still blooming and some rudbeckias that are re-seeds are going.

Strangely enough, the nicotiana is going strong - even tinkerbell is blooming again. Cosmos are hit hard and dying quickly.

Calendula and strawflower are blooming. What I really enjoy is the platycodon. The leaves are a delightful yellow right now and the pods are open and spewing seed.

• mrsgeekboy
    18 years ago

Two kinds of achillea, black-eyed Susans, gaillardia, two kinds of salvia, a few dianthus and my red roses.

The roses were planted by a previous homeowner, so I don't what kind other than they HAVE to be floribunda. I stop fertilizing by the end of August, stop deadheading during September and they are still covered in flowers. Last year (and I don't expect this year to be any different), I still was getting buds at the first hard freeze.

• gdionelli
    18 years ago

Miniature roses: Cinderella, Winsome, Hot Tamale, Sweet Chariot, Magic Carrousel, and Sweet Diana. One unidentified hybrid tea. May Night salvia is nearly done. Toad lilies are about done as well. My winter-hardy camellia has buds.

• fennelgrl
    18 years ago

It wasn't my garden...but, while garage-saling this weekend, I saw two houses with clematis vines in the front yard just going NUTS! I thought the first one was fake until I got right up on it.

• alison
    18 years ago

I still have roses blooming. Coreopsis are going strong, malva, and the dark dark scabiosa.
    Most everything else has been cut back in a fit of tidiness.

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

Daylily 'Pastel Classic', Ballerina Rose, Knockout Rose, Gaura, clematis 'ernest markham', Geranium 'Rozanne', Achillea 'Anthea', and 'Moonshine', purple salvia (annual) and my New Dawn climber has a few blooms. The trees were beautiful this weekend, until the wind blew off all the leaves!

• clickermel
    18 years ago

Just posted this in the Midwest Gardening forum but it goes well here too!!

Not too much here since the frost :(. I have old-fashioned mums (don't have the name handy, but they are large daisy-like flowers) and they are blooming their heads off. Roses are still blooming, and I've got a rouge monarda here and there with a few petals left. Asters -- they're still going. I have a phlox with some petals still hanging on. Butterfly bush is still putting out a few bloom spikes. Some black-eyed susans. The pinapple sage is hanging on but just barely. The iceplants are still putting out some blooms.

Oh, and scabiosa. Blooming like it never got cold!!

I'm just waiting on my reblooming irises. No flower spikes yet but they tend to give out their fall flower way late in the year.

I see blooming veronicas (speedwell) everywhere but not mine :(. I guess it's because I forgot to deadhead!

The maple was a gorgeous electric yellow but after the heavy wind yesterday, it's all on the ground!

Mel

• Kymie17
    18 years ago

My 3 cimicifuga "Hillside Black Beauty" is still going strong--but they started late because I moved them this spring.

My toad lilies are still blooming off and on, as is my lavender. The snapdragons are about to rebloom, too.

• Kymie17
    18 years ago

I realized as I walked to my car this morning that I'd forgotten to list my pineapple sage... how I missed those amazingly profuse and bright-red flowers in my mental trip around the yard yesterday is beyond me. :) I also have some alyssum still blooming in a strawberry jar, along with marjoram "compacta."

In the beds at my place of employment, the blue-flowered annual sage is also blooming, as are the bright pink geraniums and one brave little stella d'oro.

• alison
    18 years ago

A few last blooms. This from my "Shadow Dancer" rose; the colors get deeper as the weather get colder.

And the last of the fuchsias:

• highlandsgardener
    18 years ago

Climbing roses (High Society & Social Climber), shrub roses (Baby Blanket) and a 4-5 others that were here when we bought the house & are therefore nameless. All the dahlias are blooming like gangbusters. Lantana in the ground acts like its still summer and blooms profusely. Of course the pansies are loving the cold. Still getting blooms on the variegated St Johns Wort. Garden phlox still hanging in there. Yellow angel trumpets have 5-6 blooms left but starting to look rather teed off about the temps. Also have floss flower, lavender, begonias, non-stop begonias, asters and coreopsis. Still waiting for blooms on the autumn crocus.

• Kymie17
    18 years ago

Your lantana is still blooming? Wow!

Alison, I love that "Shadow Dancer" rose... very fun colors on those petals.

My snapdragons are blooming again, and I still have lavender flowers. My pineapple sage are going gangbusters--but I expect that to end tonight after the temps go down into the 20s. Now that I mention that, I should get going to harvest some of that for tea before it goes away.

• highlandsgardener
    18 years ago

November 16 my lantana was still blooming. November 17 a different story. Temps down into the 20's and almost everything croaked overnight. Almost 2 weeks later now and the only things still blooming are the ones I didn't even remember I had before the freeze. Kerrias, one small mum, alyssum, still with the garden phlox, purple wave petunias and baby blanket roses and believe it or not, a gerbera daisy.

Loving it while I can!

Carol

• gdionelli
    18 years ago

All gone -- not a bloom to be seen. I have to get my fix from pictures. :+(

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company