Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

Roll call, etc - any Ohio Valley Winter Sowers

storygardener
18 years ago

Hi folks, Winter Sowing is FUN, a great winter gardening activity, and a super way to start many plants from seed.

Anyone that frequents this Ohio Valley Forum going to do Winter Sowing this year? (yes, I know some of you are doing it) Stand up and be counted!

I'll start...me!!!!!!!!! - this will be my second winter.

For more info on Winter Sowing, check out the Winter Sowing Forum at the Gardenweb. Folks are very very friendly and help there!

Beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

Comments (59)

• kqcrna
    18 years ago

Count me in. First time this year.

Karen in Cinti

• ellenp
    18 years ago

Third year for me here in Xenia. Anyone else from the Miami Valley? I'm going to be starting lots of purple for our domestic violence center where I do volunteer gardening.........Ellen

• fennelgrl
    18 years ago

Second year in Cincinnati. My seed list is many times what it was last year. I was inspired by my successes.

• mrsgeekboy
    18 years ago

I'm planning on giving it a try for the first time this year.

Wish me luck!

• alison
    18 years ago

Here I am!
    3rd year for me as well. I've been preaching the gospel this year, and I think I'm going to try a "winter sowing party" for around the solstice, where a bunch of folks can plant some pots, make some plans and talk about our gardens. I'll have containers at home, of course, but I'm also starting a lot at work, for the garden there.

Looking forward to it!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We've got more...Great! Fennelgirl, mrsgeekboy, Kqrma, ellenp and, of course, Alison! Good- we can do the local "countdown" of the Ohio Valley and keep tabs on how things are sprouting in our area if you like.

Alison...I LOVE your idea of the WS party!!! Fantastic. Let us know all about it.

• alison
    18 years ago

When I was out in the yard last night, it occurred to me that I have a good 30 or so of those silver bags from Starbucks -- I bet those would make great containers, with a plastic bag slipped over the top. Take the bags, a big bag of soil, a couple of seed packs... and you've got a planting party!

Good idea, Bev. I was really interested to see the different germination rates just across town at Karen's -- it'll be neat to track the Ohio contribution!

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

Count me in. I got some wonderful seeds to WS this year!

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Ok...I'll admit it...I must be obsessive compulsive...I've been buying seeds like crazy and I haven't even done this yet...and I had some seeds left over from last year...What a dope! Now if only I can re-collect the containers that dh dutifully destroyed.....

• strmywthr3
    18 years ago

I'm a newbie this year. can't wait to get started! Dreaming of all the plants I'll have next year!

Barbi

• jeanne
    18 years ago

A little late to the party, but here I am!

I've been winter sowing for awhile - I started the winter of 92/93. I've always sown in open flats though, this will be the first year I've tried recycled containers.

We'll see if this old dog can't learn a new trick. ;-)

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Jeanne, I'm looking forward to seeing the list of seeds you are winter sowing. You seem to find the most interesting items.

I have a fairly detailed spreadsheet that I create on Excel each year. It's up and running with my seed lists. At the end of the season, if anyone is interested, I would be happy to email it. I'm going to be disciplined with it this year as I think it's a nice variety of seeds from different sources that might interest the winter sower who has done this a few times.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This year I am going to keep better track. I doubt I'll do it on the computer. I'll have it in my notebook - seed, source, container, date planted, results. Do I need more?

Jeanne...I didn't realize you've been doing the "Jeanne" version of WS all these years. GREAT! You'll have to let us know how it all compares. Bakemom is right...you always have such neat plants. I am lucky to be the recipient of some of your nice seedlings!

• kowalleka
    18 years ago

Count me in! This will be my second year WS in the Cincinnati/Hamilton area. Last year was small - only about 30 containers of seeds. This year will be quite an expansion. I am definitely hooked on WS.

• JoyceKy1
    18 years ago

Hey everyone...This is my first year to winter sow,but I can tell you I am hooked. I have a lot of seeds to sow thanks to very generous gardenweb members.I have bought some seeds also. I am so excited! I can't wait. Oh, I live about 30 miles from where the old Ohio Bridge comes into Maysville Ky. HAPPY WINTERSOWING......Pauletta

• Kymie17
    18 years ago

Alright, I already have a question. I have lots of sturdy pint and gallon containers leftover from last summer's plant buys. I also have a number of freezer bags that I am loathe to throw away but am also loathe to reuse for food because they contained frozen chicken.

My thought process goes something like this: I want just (3) of a certain large perennial, so I start (3) gallon containers, each with 5 or 6 seeds in them since the packet contains 20 or so anyway. I top them off with the upside-down freezer bags so that I can get at least one more use out of those, too. When the seedlings get to be an inch or two tall, I transplant or thin them out to one per pot.

Does that make sense, or should I have some more coffee before I do any more planning on this one? :)

• alison
    18 years ago

That sounds good to me.

Be sure to put holes in the freezer bags; that thick plastic will probably hold heat a treat. (I usually use flimsy clear plastic trash bags.)

If you could prop them up,, you could probably use some of those gallon freezer bags as containers, too. I'm using some of the dozens of Starbucks grounds bags I've accumulated!

• Kymie17
    18 years ago

Oh... good idea, Alison. I never really thought about using the bags to actually plant in, but the freezer bags should stand up to that. And some of the bigger ones... well, I could probably even just close the tops and then poke holes in them to vent.

Hmm... guess I need to buy more seed packets now! What a shame. ;)

• mamimo
    18 years ago

I just realized I live in Ohio Valley, duh! Count me in as a 1st time WS-er.

• alison
    18 years ago

The Ohio Valley -- it's not just for Ohioans anymore!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Absolutely, Mamino...

Alison..didn't you post a map of the "Ohio Valley" once. It actually covers most of the states that border Ohio, too. Seems like the weather person always refers to this area of the U.S. as the Ohio Valley too.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Anyone WSing these days? Seems like it's too warm out. Go figure. Hope your WS jugs aren't sprouting yet.

Beverly

• strmywthr3
    18 years ago

I haven't started yet. partly procrastination, partly too much other stuff going on. planning on starting a few this week though.

Barbi

• michigoose
    18 years ago

I've held off a couple of days, but I'll start again tomorrow. I think I have 13 thingies sown. :) Hey, it's a start...and the angelica gigas needs the freeze/thaw cycles.

I also harvested some seeds off my stewartia and so I'll try those too. :)

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

OK Beverly! You and Karen, AKA Bakemom, have converted me! I have saved enough milk jugs for Beverly that I guess I'll just have to fill some for myself.

Alison, can you believe that she offered to have a WS mini party with me and Sam?!?! I guess that I'll FORCE myself to do it. ;) I bet Sam has too much FUN getting his two year old hands into everything!

I'll let you know what comes up!

~~Mimi

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yippee...a convert! Well..I'll let you all know that Sam is two years old. We'll have a woopdeedoo time. We'll get some done if February...maybe March too - depending on the weather.

• indianaplantlover
    18 years ago

This is my first year too. My goodness, Ohio must be a beautiful place during summer with all you winter sowers out there. Anyone else near Louisville? Have fun everyone, I am just doing my first batch this weekend. Vicci

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Indianaplantlover! - Vicci - we all seem to be waiting for winter to do a bit of planting. Yes, I am going to do some hardy annuals and perennials too next week or soon after. I can hardly wait to get my hands in the dirt.

Beverly

• alison
    18 years ago

Eggsellent! The recruiting program continues.
    We'll get you -- and your little boy, too!
    Mwahaha!

I planted another 6 milk jugs yesterday before the hockey game, since it was warmer outside in the sun than it was in my apartment!

• clickermel
    18 years ago

Another Ohio Valley WSer here -- first year!

:-) Mel

• popsicle_toe
    18 years ago

This is my second year for WS and 1st time in Lexington-KY. I think I'm going to do just annuals this year and most of them are tender annuals, so I'll wait until March to WS them. I had GREAT success last year and was so happy to prove my doubting DH WRONG :-)

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I know what you mean, Popsicle Toe - my DH just rolls his eyes when I start a new garden project!

• danaoh
    18 years ago

I'm from Middletown - this is my first time - I hope the seed gods are gentle with me

• joyerman
    18 years ago

Louisville here. I am wintersowing for first time.

• ginam_oh
    18 years ago

(Raises hand sheepishly....)

I'm here! Sorry to be such a Gina-come-lately, but work and the house have been positively swallowing me up these past few months. Would you believe I haven't even sowed a single seed as yet? Last night I got my containers ready and hope to do some sowing tonight. This year I'm doing only herbs. Once they're planted they're pretty low-maintenance which will be a must. The to-do list for the new (OLD) house is long and growing longer by the day!

I'm hoping to make it to the swap and maybe pawn off.....I mean, SHARE......some of my herbs. Time will tell!

Nice to "see" everyone. I miss posting here! Someday I'll have free time again. Sigh.

• ginam_oh
    18 years ago

(Raises hand sheepishly....)

I'm here! Sorry to be such a Gina-come-lately, but work and the house have been positively swallowing me up these past few months. Would you believe I haven't even sowed a single seed as yet? Last night I got my containers ready and hope to do some sowing tonight. This year I'm doing only herbs. Once they're planted they're pretty low-maintenance which will be a must. The to-do list for the new (OLD) house is long and growing longer by the day!

I'm hoping to make it to the swap and maybe pawn off.....I mean, SHARE......some of my herbs. Time will tell!

Nice to "see" everyone. I miss posting here! Someday I'll have free time again. Sigh.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Gina...it's so good to see you!!! Sounds like you've been REAL busy. Hope your WSing goes well and we see you at the swap.

• ginam_oh
    18 years ago

It's been busy, all right. If you want to see just what's been occupying my every spare second, check out my house blog (link below). DH and I bought our dream house and now we've set out to restore it. Right up my alley, but it's still a LOT of hard work.

I've marked the swap on my calendar and really hope to make it, as much for the fellowship (and, of course, the food!) as for the swapping!

Here is a link that might be useful: Where I've been spending my time of late

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

New procrastinating WSer here, from Scott County Indiana.

I whittled down both the annuals and perennials some, but know I would be totally stressed if I planted them all, they all came up, survived, and I had to find places to plant them all.

If they do well, I may never be tempted to buy another plant ever again.

Have many of you found that by WSing, it has reduced your urge to look at and buy plants later in the spring or summer?

Sue

• alison
    18 years ago

Oh, no! I certainly still look, and occassionally buy. (And this with a tiny yard to put them in!)

But thanks to WS I have tons of plants. I used to buy one or two of a type of plant; now I can easily grow 20.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Anyone have any sprouts...how far along are you?

I have perennials, half hardy's done. I've started on my annuals...will save some real tender-hearts till early april.

How about you?

Beverly

• michigoose
    18 years ago

I've still got a few hhps to go, and my annuals. I have in about 100 containers now. We'll see. I'm not as gung ho about it as I was. It will be interesting.

I have clarkia and various sorts of poppies sprouted. My oriental poppy Coral Lake hasn't sprouted a one, even though that was one of the first I did, and I sowed 2 packets.....I'm wondering if that one is one which takes longer or has poorer germination.

• alison
    18 years ago

I still have about 20 things I want to do -- gotta get them out there this weekend!

I haven't been patrolling religiously for sprouts, but I noticed that the wild-gathered cornflowers have all come up. The plastic over the tray blew loose, and I saw all the little sprouts were encased in ice. I figured they were goners, but when I adjusted the plastic this morning they were all proud and getting taller!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Alison...I am glad you didn't lose those sprouts to the ice!

Have you planted your tender annuals yet? Folks...when do we start those around here? You know..zinnias, marigolds, morning glories, vines etc.

What's your experience?

• joyerman
    18 years ago

First year for me. I have lots of plants up, but cant bear to leave them out after they germinate, so they go under lights in the basement. I have bunches and bunches and bunches and bunches of little plants.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Today...out in the jugs..I have iddy biddy bachelor buttons and poppies. Yipppeeee!

Love it...the jugs will bea poppin' like crazy soon.

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

I have 27 jugs sprouted right now in the backyard. It's the usual suspects - poppies, larkspur, sunnies, dianthus, lettuce and cupid's dart. Oh yes, all my calendulas. I have the tops off the ones that germinated too early in January - they seemed to welcome the fresh air. I'm keeping the tops in the garage for a few jugs that might need their hats next week. The rest of the sprouters have their tape off, but lids on.

Oh yes, mignonette germinated today. Can't wait to see that in bloom.

• suzsyard
    18 years ago

3Rd year ws here. Gives me something to look forward to in the winter besides Christmas.
    I have about 50 total this year. The dog took care of the rest.

Oh well. Pets or plants......hard decision sometimes. :0)

• alison
    18 years ago

I'm still planting containers -- put out 8 this morning and I haven't even started with the vines!

I've got a bunch of things germinating, but I'm surprised at how slow germination has been. We hade a weird spring -- and it's not over yet -- but this time last year I had a lot more things popping.

I'm not worrying yet, but I'm curious how other people's plants are doing?

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Alison...I didn't keep track of dates last year. I have quite a few things germinating now - gaillardias, diff. rudbeckias, poppies, sunnies, flax, bachelor buttons, lavateras, stocks, sweet william, cosmos, poached egg plant...

Yesterday I planted the blind-eyed susie seeds(thunbergia elata - white with NO black eyes) from your plants at the spring swap. I haven't done the millet grass yet. Have you?

I have done a great deal of my winter sowing in late Feb. and sporatically in March. Only the hyacinth beans and millet grass to go.

Good question..what do the other Ohio Valley WSers have sprouting now.

Beverly

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor