Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheyenne76

Newly planted redbuds losing bark

Cheyenne76
10 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm new here but have spent some time reading messages from time to time and really like the amount of knowledge that is shared in this forum.

We have several redbud trees that were planted a little over a week ago by a landscape company. The trees are all over about 10 feet high and look well established. We had them planted up near the street since it is the highest part of our property and we have clay soil on fairly flat terrain which doesn't drain the best. A few days ago we were hit with those windy, rainy storms so the ground is quite soggy. I was worried about how our trees are faring since they're pretty new and noticed this morning that 3 of our redbuds have bark that is starting to peel towards the bottom of the tree. Is this something to be concerned about? I did read online that redbuds often shed, but am still worried just knowing how our soil is and having little knowledge of growing trees. One of the trees also almost looks wet from about 3 feet on down to the bottom of the tree, where the rest of the trunk on up looks dry. Is this normal? The rain came through 3 days ago. Sorry if these are silly questions!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting