Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newly planted redbuds losing bark

Posted by Cheyenne76 Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 12:39

Hi everyone! I'm new here but have spent some time reading messages from time to time and really like the amount of knowledge that is shared in this forum.

We have several redbud trees that were planted a little over a week ago by a landscape company. The trees are all over about 10 feet high and look well established. We had them planted up near the street since it is the highest part of our property and we have clay soil on fairly flat terrain which doesn't drain the best. A few days ago we were hit with those windy, rainy storms so the ground is quite soggy. I was worried about how our trees are faring since they're pretty new and noticed this morning that 3 of our redbuds have bark that is starting to peel towards the bottom of the tree. Is this something to be concerned about? I did read online that redbuds often shed, but am still worried just knowing how our soil is and having little knowledge of growing trees. One of the trees also almost looks wet from about 3 feet on down to the bottom of the tree, where the rest of the trunk on up looks dry. Is this normal? The rain came through 3 days ago. Sorry if these are silly questions!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newly planted redbuds losing bark

I had a redbud in TN, and it wasn't unusual for it to lose come chunks of bark, especially where the kids would climb it. The layers underneath would have a somewhat darker appearance, like pavement looks darker when its wet. It had a coating that almost felt like dirt. The tree never seemed to suffer for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here