Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

Whatch got blooming in your November Ohio Valley garden?

storygardener
19 years ago

Hi folks...yes, it's November and the pickin's are slim as far as the blooms go. I have a bloom here and there. But, because I have alot of gardens - there's actually quite a few things with a few blooms (some, of course some of them are reblooms):

lavendar munstead, lavendar hidcote, echinacea tennessensis, pink & red mini roses, scabiosa butterfly blue, crainsbill (rozanne, buxton blue, sanguenium), moonshine achllea, tradescantia sweet kate, butterfly bush honeycomb, gaura, pink thrift, mums, nepita faaseania sp?, salvia blue hill, lamium, monkshood, gailardia, phlox (flamingo, jr.surprise, darwins choice), platycodon granda flora white & jap. anenome honerine jobert.

A few annuals too: cosmos, petunia, impatiens, & marigolds. They should be gone soon...as it will freeze several times this week.

What do you have blooming. I'd LOVE to know!!!

...Beverly

Comments (28)

• calliope
    19 years ago

Can you believe most of my impatiens? In fact most of my annuals, and especially the cold tolerant ones. Osteospermum. Bidens. Petunias. Gomphrena. Gerbera. Heliotrope. Pelargoniums. Snaps. Allysum. In my perennial beds, the late old fashioned mums. Some Becky daisies. Montauk daisies. Goldsturm rudbeckia. Sea thrift. A lyonia shrub. And one weeping crab is in full bloom.

• alison
    19 years ago

Youza, Bev! I gotta come see your gardens!

The red scabiosa is still going strong in the front, altho it's almost black-purple now. The malva Zebrina is going strong in the same place, and has also gotten a lot darker.

I still have marigolds and calendula in the alley, along with some precocious catanache and sweet william I WS this spring.

I cut three Othello roses yesterday, figuring they wouldn't put up with temps in the 20's overnight. But the forget-me-nots and Pink Fairy rose were still looking good this morning.

And wouldn't you know it? The heliotrope I had in hanging baskets are finally putting out buds! A bit late, guys.....

• ohiogdnr
    19 years ago

The weekend was unbelievably beautiful and we took full advantage of it and spent most of our time in the garden.

We've got Aster Jindai going strong and two mums, Sheffield Pink and Cambodian Queen. The Coreopsis Moonbeam is showing a few tiny blooms and my Dahlberg Daisy is still hanging in there.

The Knock Out roses are incredible....lots of bloom.

A Montauk Daisy that actually just started blooming not too long ago. Some Verbena bonariensis. A little color is showing on the Salvia Caradonna. I planted a Purple Beautyberry last year and the berries are gorgeous this year!

The season has been so long that it has been a real joy watching the garden slide slowly into dormancy. Lots of color. I have not been in any real hurry to chop it all down and clean up. I guess I'll do that a little at a time as we get nice days through out the winter.

• doniki
    19 years ago

Well, we had a pretty good freeze last night (our first of the year)- about 28F, but this afternoon, walking around I noticed that the following still had some bloom on them:
    Hidcote lavendar
    Corydalis
    Butterfly bushes had a few last flowers
    Phlox
    Malva
    Verbena
    Muhly grass
    Morning Light Miscanthus
    a few asters
    and lots of pansies and "flowering" kale (love the cold)

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Lavender
    Persian Cornflower
    Bachelor Buttons (can you believe it?)
    Calendula
    Malvas
    Strawflower
    Cosmos starting to fade
    Kale Coral Queen - spectacular!
    Verbena and Gomphrena still fighting a bit

• gardengirl_17
    19 years ago

I made a lovely bouquet this week from lavender, Knockout roses, purple coneflowers, White Swan echinacea and persicaria "Fire Tail". Also my white Clematis was blooming. It's a double white and very pretty. I'm not certain which one it is. It was supposed to be Hagley Hybrid but obviously when it bloomed I found out that it isn't! I almost ripped it out I was so mad but it really does have pretty blooms so it's staying!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

With the frosts of the last week...my annuals are bye - bye. Boo hoo.

...Beverly

• VirginIslandsGuy
    19 years ago

I have to chuckle a bit as I read this thread, because I grew up in Ohio and did all the gardening in our yard from ages 6 to 18, when I went off to college. My parents now work the garden I started as a child. I have a lot of fall garden pictures-beautiful but sort of sad. I confess that I miss a lot of the temperate zone plants. Still, I love waking up to 70-degree weather in November.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Virginislandsguy...glad you stopped by your old homestead. Yeah...I like the seasons myself. That sunshine can be so compelling though.

take care..

• alison
    19 years ago

My malva is still growing strong. It takes a lot to kill that one!

• MeMyselfAndI
    19 years ago

Hi people. I'm back online, and glad to be perusing and participating in garden chat again! Of course I came here first.

I have one sad but stubborn rose bloom of an unknown name, my butterfly bush looked ugly after those low temps recently, but I swear it's made new buds. There are some primroses, the kind they sell at Easter, all blooming their short little heads off. The cabbage or kale I planted still looks really cool and very purple.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Tiffany!!!! You're back- I mean, Mymyself&I!!! Glad you're back on line!! Nice to see you here again.

Did Alison contact you about her crockpot that she left at the fall plant swap?

I have a tall pink mini - rose that still blooming to...go figure!

....Beverly

• Nicky_z6PA
    19 years ago

Only hardy roses--OGR's Stanwell Perpetual, Rose de Rescht, and Quatre Saisons; modern hybrid John Davis; and Griffith Bucks Virginia Reel and Carefree Beauty.

But blooms now take back seat to the rose hips, ... and I still have carrots and a few beets in the ground.

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Oh rats! I had high hopes of pilfering that crock pot and sowing poppies in it. Back to snarfing milk jugs.

My malva is still going too! Great stuff that!

I also have new growth on my butterfly bush. Go figga.

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

Aster "Miss Bessie" is in full bloom right now.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My daylily...Right on Target has no green leaves, but, it's blooming on a live scape!! I think it's cornfused!!!

• doniki
    19 years ago

Even though I had about 25 degrees on Nov. 15th, it has been in the 50's since and the Sacabiosa are still blooming. So are some Penstemon, phlox and hary ice plant.
    But what is really weird is that I have an old Kousa dogwood that still has about 30 blossoms which have opened... Weird, but pretty...

• alanrocks
    19 years ago

Still have Salvia coccinea, Salvia transylvanica, Nicotiana, Echinacea, Tithonia, Zinnia, Allysum, & Snapdragons, - most are just hanging on, except the last two are going strong. It was a weird year - wet until the end of July, two dry months, then two wet months. Had the driest September on record followed by the wettest October. Go figure!

• kab121170
    19 years ago

We has some light snow the other night and I still have a bloom on my burgundy blanketflower and goblin blanketflower.

• cliff98
    19 years ago

It's December 1st, and I still have a few things blooming in the garden. Most of the petunias and geraniums are still blooming strong, as well as the Strawflowers, Blanketflowers, dwarf shasta daisies and iceplants. Some suprises are the tropical hibiscus which has opened a few buds the past few days, the lantanas are still blooming and my Osteospermum hybrids look great.

I am really suprised to see so much still in almost full bloom, too bad it won't continue much longer.

• alison
    19 years ago

Will wonders never cease!

The malva and the red scabiosa are still blooming. (By my count, this makes it over 5 months of bloom for the later.)

There are still some marigolds in bloom and a few calendula.

But it blew me away to walk outside this morning and realize that, despite several nights in the 20's, I had a new rose on both my Shadow Dancer and Kathryn Morley! Not to mention a few little blooms on the Pink Fairy ankle biter.

Who'dda thunk it? Roses blooming in December!

• doniki
    19 years ago

Alison-
    I don't know what it is about the red Scabiosa, but mine are still blooming too... They aren't even close to the house, and it was 24F the other night... Amazing that they have survived. Also, pansies and violas really look good, but the rabbits are starting on them... I put some dried blood around them so maybe that will stop the pests... No freezing temps here forecasted for the next 7 days. Keep your fingers crossed for a mild winter....

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My purple scabiosa Butterfly blue is still blooming, too. Just a few blooms are hanging on. I have a pink mini rose that's blooming - some lamium and a purple primrose.

I think we are coming down to the end., though. Boo hoo.

• sunburygirl
    19 years ago

My lamium under my cedar has bloomed since spring and is still full of blooms in December! Gott'a love a thick groundcover like that!

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

My lamium and a ground cover grysophila are still blooming. My rebloming Iris has buds too!

~~Mimi~~

• zoeybug
    19 years ago

I still have snapdragons and stock blooming.

Everything else is done for the winter.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sunbury girl...my lamium mac. checquers blooms from spring to fall. It's wonderful. The other lamiums, not quite as long. Isn't it nice!!

...Beverly

• sunburygirl
    19 years ago

Beverly, that's the one I have, I just couldn't remember the name off the top of my head! I think it is better and certainly more vigorous than the White Nancy I have. Little lilac blooms with snowflakes swirling around. How cute is that!?

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals