Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

Anything still blooming in your November Ohio Valley garden?

storygardener
17 years ago

We've had many many hard freezes here in the Columbus area. There's still some greenery. Most of the flowers are gone. BUT - a few are still haning on:

a few marigolds

mums

monkshood

valarian

lamium

How about you? Anything blooming in your Ohio Valley November garden?

Comments (11)

• alison
    17 years ago

Everything's pretty much croaked at home (except one die-hard spray of roses!) -- but at work there are still some gaillardia, verbena, cosmos, calendula and what I think is an African daisy.

Nice and bright, when everything is dying and turning grey around them!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Everything here is toast I believe, except for one new (to me) repeat iris is budded for bloom. If the temps cooperate, I 'may' get to see it yet.

There is some nice red foliage on a new viburnum, and the blue gray foliage on several different evergreen dianthus really looks nice and healthy.

I've recently seen a few wild violets blooming at the edge of the woods, and had a few confused blooms on the forcythia.
    Sue

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I found some dianthus that are still blooming away. They must not mind the freezing temps.

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

I have a mini and a shrub rose blooming nicely, ornamental grasses that look great. The plumes and foliage have turned colors. Also Serbian Bellflower-never quit since spring-and Salvia May Night are blooming. Annuals-pink Verbena and Dianthus. It's nice to see some color with all the rainy cold weather!

Jen

• diggerb2
    17 years ago

Saturday I picked the last of my roses: 2 very deep orange
    somethings-- but pretty and still scented. the buds opened
    sunday during the day. last week my spray of cary grant roses bloomed inside for me as well. I had picked them before it snowed about 2 weeks ago.

on friday morning (i had the day off) i saw a patch of bright blue in the back yard. turned out that my monkshood i got 2 years ago at the spring exchange had bloomed. such a beautiful clear blue against a yard of bright yellow
    hickory leaves that had finally fallen. i went and enjoyed the flower and ignored the leaves that needed raking. :)!!!
    I also have a few dusty rose mums hanging on and feverfew.

Planned on getting the yard raked today before we have more snow, but i'm stuck at work with a late catering job.

still i've managed something in bloom in my yard every month this year except december. which is really good here in north east ohio.

Hope to see you all in the spring at the exchange.

diggerb

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

A little johnny jump up had reseeded and greeted me with its pretty little face today.

The flowering cabbage that came back from last years stalk is beautiful, except there are numerous ones, and are on long stalks, the longest being about 2 feet.

It looks so silly, but is so pretty.

There is also a pink yarrow (which I don't normally like) that is putting on a late show

Sue

• gdionelli
    17 years ago

I just spotted a snowdrop in bloom.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

All of a sudden I have some primula, scabiosa butterfly blue and verbeana bonariensis blooming. I guess it's the unseasonably warm weather. I like it!

• rusty_blackhaw
    17 years ago

I saw some small flashes of blue at the front of a border today, looked more closely and saw that Veronica 'Georgia Blue' has about a dozen out-of season blossoms.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Eric...my Veronica Georgia Blue is blooming today, too! It usually blooms in the spring, of course. What a delightful suprise. It's "cornfused" with this warm weather.

• alison
    17 years ago

I love that Georgia Blue! Luckily, mine hasn't woken up.

Unbeleiveably, I still have verbena, calendula, California poppy and a blue-eyed daisy still blooming at work. And Tudor stocks and primroses blooming at home. On the last of November!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler