Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginam_oh

First winter in Ohio--garden winterizing tips needed

ginam_oh
19 years ago

Give me your best, your brightest, et al. And can someone tell me what the heck a frost free spigot is, and how to "get the water completely out so it doesn't freeze" which is what our home inspector told us but then never showed us how to do?

Any advice appreciated. I've only just begun to plant up the ol' yard, and I'd like my perennials to live to see another season. :)

Thanks a million!!

Gina

Comments (8)

• greenhummer
    19 years ago

This should put some light on the subject

http://www.easy2.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_index.asp?page_id=35694491

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I just hang my hoses in the garage and purchase a foam rubber cover for my spigots. My parents do nothing and that works fine too for them. I don't know what an older home needs - mine was built in 1964.

In January or February, we sometimes get a warm spell here. That's when I cut down the grasses and some perennials.

I'm in the process of yanking annuals and running them under a mulching blade or throwing them in the compost pile. Last year I staked my new raspberry canes in the fall and I lost a few. I'm going to wait until spring.

Your perennials should be fine. I leave some leaves and stuff in there for insulation - it's not this sterile clean bed my neighbors favor.

On to milk jugs and winter sowing. See you guys over there! We're already having fun and the solstice is just a month or so away!!!!!

• MeMyselfAndI
    19 years ago

Hi. Welcome to OH! Unless you leave your hose connected for the winter, it's rare for a pipe like this to freeze. But that looked like good advice on that website, so I'll probably do that (for the first time ever.)

Personally, I can't ever remember what was planted where each spring, so I leave the old stalks in place until I see new growth that is noticeable enough that I won't step on it.

If you don't have a compost pile, dump all of your leaves on your flower beds. The worms will have eaten them by spring.

Make sure any pots left outside, especially ceramic or clay, are turned upside-down so they don't fill with ice and crack.

'Tis the season to plant bulbs, if you are so inclined.

Happy gardening!

• homegrown54
    19 years ago

Again, welcome! We're over here near the Cambridge area. We have a spigot that is "frost free" and I don't know how it works other than somehow the water must fall back inside the line somehow. Never had any problems. Amen on not storing hoses outside. If you have to, dry to drain as best as you can, and don't connect the ends to each other. You'll be able to garden a long time here, despite the winter. I am still harvesting nice turnips out from under a row cover. Since I don't 'till I'm able to start gardening way way before my counterparts and am eating lettuce, radishes and onions in early to mid April! Swiss Chard is another hardy one I love... best of luck!

• hairmetal4ever
    19 years ago

Ohio winters depend a lot on your perspective. If you're from the South or California, they're frigid. If you're from Duluth, they're downright mild.

One thing (as you're probably witnessed by now) is that in a typical winter, you can get 60 degree weather followed by heavy snow followed by temps at or below zero. March is even worse-in the same year we've had a major snowstorm in March and 80-degree weather by months end.

• jcgolfer43
    19 years ago

Make sure you remove your water hose from the spigot. If you do this you will not a problem with the pipes freezen.

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I'm raking out the beds right now. I had a heavy mat of leaves this winter that didn't get raked with the fall stuff, so I have huge piles ready to be mulched and then re-distributed to the beds. I'm getting a new mower tomorrow and just can't wait.

This weekend sounds awful. Oh well.

• gillespiegardens
    19 years ago

Yesss this weekend does sound lousy. Hope it doesnt zap some of the new growth thats up already. Sounds like a good time to catch up on seed sowing. Ive saved the quickest germinators till the last so I guess I'll get those done.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County