Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What am I doing wrong ?

Posted by hank2230 z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 28, 08 at 15:53

I am new to saving seeds and I have got several sets of seeds from several donors and they are always clean.
My question!
I am taking my seeds off the flower heads today and they have lots of chaff i.e. empty seed coverings.
How do you separate this chaff out rather than picking it out with tweezers?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What am I doing wrong ?

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 17:49

Personally, I don't care about chaff. I winter sow my seeds and it has no effect on them. What specific seeds are you talking about. It is kinda late for some plants to still have seeds for harvest. But then again, it depends. Tweezers - no way. Life is too short.

o

Thanks bakemom for the input on chaff.
The flowers that were giving the most chaff were purple coneflower and blackeyed susans.
I am not puting anything out until mid or late January.
Hank

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 6, 08 at 10:43

On purple coneflower, the black spikes are chaff. You can clean those up pretty easily, but having chaff in that seed is normal. Rudbeckias are a little tougher. The seed is heavier than the chaff and sometimes you can blow some of it out, but why bother?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here