Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiodirt

Can I still plant shrubs, they're on sale

ohiodirt
17 years ago

I was wondering if I could still plant shrubs (boxwood, evergreen etc) lilac, willowing shrub, oriental grass etc. We have already had a frost....I'm asking because lowes have all of their shrubs on sale 75% off .

Comments (7)

• lyn_r
    17 years ago

Yes, you can safely plant all of them. We have had frost but the ground is not frozen yet. If you want the plants you need to get them ASAP. Our local Lowe's completley sold out in two days time when they marked them down 75%. People were buying them by the truck loads, me included! :-)

• ohiodirt
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info...one more question if I buy the shrubs and I don't get them all planted before the ground freezes, will they keep until next year? I can put them by my basement door which is below ground level and they will still get a little bit of sun?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

I would think they would be fine. I overwintered several hydrangeas and lilacs in pots last year, by placing then next to the brown brick on a south facing wall, and being attentive to their occasional water needs.

Glad to hear you both got some great bargains. The nearest Lowes is 1/2 hour away, so I only get there occasionally in passing.

Sue

• michigoose
    17 years ago

If you want, you can "heel" them in, which is to put dirt around the base of the pots to help insulate them. I've done this on several occassions and they've been fine. I just planted a bunch of miniature evergreens I got on clearance last weekend. Love it.

• columbusgardener
    17 years ago

YEAH!!! I purchased 5 5 gallon diablo ninebark at Lowes for 10.00 - was afraid that it might be a wasted effort but knew I would find some help here! So if I put them in the cold frame - put some top soil around the pots they should be ok? I also bought some mystery perannual (sic) 12 pots 3 bucks - he just wanted to be rid of them - so I will get them out tomorro - should be in the high 50's here.

thank you for your help
    Debbie

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Debbie, if you post a pic, at Name That Plant, they name be able to solve the Mystery Perennial thing.

12 for $3...what a steal...some to enjoy, and some to trade.

Sue...always thinking of trading for more

Here is a link that might be useful: Name that plant

• michigoose
    17 years ago

This mild weather we've been having has been a boon for our late plantings...now we just have to hope that we don't get them burned from sun and wind. :) I planted over 400 daffodils (same number of grape hyacinths) in November because I promised myself I wouldn't plant any bulbs until I got all my shrubs/perennials in....yahoo! Got them on clearance so I will be able to have some spring bulbs! It's a pain when you are having to start over on barren ground!

Sponsored