Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well, the ice took care of the Siberian Elms

Posted by Dagget 5/6 Central OH (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 23, 04 at 13:21

Fifty years ago, some one planted two tiny Siberian Elm trees twenty feet from my house. They have grown to a good size, but limbs are always breaking off, leaving stumps sticking out. They are messy, but my wife won't let me cut them down and plant some better trees there.
Today's ice storm here in central Ohio has taken care of them pretty well, and I now know just what caused those crashes up on the roof in the small hours of the night.
They look like the tree topper guy was turned loose on them with his chainsaw for reduction to half their orignal height.
Dagget

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well, the ice took care of the Siberian Elms

It got my awning, too. :( At least it can be replaced, I feel terrible for those who lost trees and those without power.

Can we cancel winter this year?

o

There are branches all over my neighborhood. Someone's tree down the street looks like it split in half.

So sad.

o

Having been in the position in years past of losing a Siberian elm to an ice storm, I can say that this is one of the few benefits of such a calamity.

Now you can plant something better.

o

Mother nature did you a "service" of sorts. Like Eric says...you can plant something else now. Enjoy!

Beverly (storygardener)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here