Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerb2

12 months of flowers/ or what is blooming in your december garden

diggerb2
17 years ago

on the 23rd on they way out of the house to see a movie i saw 2 snow drops blooming. I've had something in bloom every month this year!!!

May be i will plant som cyclmens and witchhazels to be sure!!!

(remember that i'm a solid zone 5)

what's blooming for you?

diggerb

hey storeygardener have you started the planning for the spring central ohio swap?

Comments (10)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

digger,

There was nothing blooming 4 days ago when I last checked.

I'm guessing it probably is not common for the snowdrops to be blooming now, or is this their first season? I'm not familiar with them.... (don't have any)

I did do some 'Googleing' and found this link.

It describes
    Single and double snowdrops
    Snowflakes
    and
    Aconites...something I had never heard of b4, and now probably need.

I see they are in UK...hmmm will have to find them in the US or trade for them.
    Are you by any chance familiar with the snowflakes and aconites?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Snowdrops, snowflakes, and aconites

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    17 years ago

There's nothing blooming in the garden--but I saw violets blooming in the yard, here in Columbus.

• thinkdirt
    17 years ago

Hey Digger,

Saw your post so I ventured out to the Woodland garden, My Hellebore has 5 buds on it for the first time. Wow I was excited can't wait to see the flowers. They are as big as my thumb shouldn't be long now.

JoAnn

• storygardener
    17 years ago

Hi Digger!

I have two kinds of Lamium blooming in my garden. They always hang on the longest. One is purplely and one is White Nancy.

Yes, the swap is going on! It's Saturday, May 19, 2007 - same time and place. I'll be posting VERY soon. Betty from Michigan called me yesterday for the scoop...she and Ron can make their reservations. Yes, time to post it!!

Happy New Year, .......Beverly - storygardener

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

I was just going to say I have an 'Aureum' Lamium still in bloom. Doesnt stop til Feb, then starts again in April. If you want a long bloomer this is the plant for you! All of my bulbs are coming up like fools but none in bloom. I do really enjoy my evergreen plants this time of year.

Jen

• gdionelli
    17 years ago

I have quite a few snowdrops in bloom and one primrose. I also have buds on the Rijnveld's Early Sensation daffodils. This winter is crazy!

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

its so good to hear from every one.
    yesterday i noticed that my tea roses (which havent lost their leaves are putting out new growth. truly crazy this winter and we are expecting 60 degrees tomorrow
    bill

• michigoose
    17 years ago

I've got pansies and violas blooming their little heads off...I haven't seen my snowdrops yet....

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hi everybody

well those tea roses aren't growing anymore!!! about time they gave up the ghost.
    still have snowdrops, and a lot of daffs are pushing up.

chemcurl, snow drops are usually the first thing up in my yard. some folks see them as a christmas flower, but usually
    here in zone 5 the wait until the beginning of feburary. sort of like hellebores and cyclamens-- you can get fall and early winter blooms if you have a mild stretch, but usually you wait til the end of january to look.

more later
    digger

• blackswamp_girl
    17 years ago

Well, wow! I had lamium ('Anniversary') blooming in my garden throughout all of December and into January--until we had the real cold weather hit. I sure thought I was special, but now I see that it's not that unusual for them. :)

Sponsored