Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highlandsgardener

Amaryllis planted in the garden!

highlandsgardener
18 years ago

Just gotta know. Anyone else in Z6 tried planting Amaryllis in the ground? I planted 2 and left them over winter. Three years now & they come up and bloom every summer. They actually have more blooms than the ones in pots that overwinter in a cool dark closet. Cold outside, getting bored...

Comments (7)

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Nope. I always bring mine in...I'm amazed that you had success. Were they in a protected area?

I'm getting geared up for wintersowing...blame it on bakemom!

• highlandsgardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

michigoose, the question of "protected area" has been a point of contention between me and my dear hubby for 4 years now. The area is at the edge of my property, right between the sidewalk and the brick alley that runs alongside the house. I think that since the sewers run under the alley all that warm bathwater flowing by keeps the beds warmer. Hubby thinks I'm crazy. But I also have dahlias, gerbera daisys and Peruvian daffodils come back every year in that stretch of garden. Whaddya think?

• alison
    18 years ago

I think you may be on to something. And the brick soaks up heat during the day, and radiates it at night, creating a more even temperature.

I've seen a lot of plants in German Village, a largely red-brick neighborhood just south of downtown, that I swear are rated a zone or two warmer than we are!

• highlandsgardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Alison, finally some confirmation of my theory. Must admit tho, the warm brick vs the warm bathwater makes a little more sense! Either way, its a joy not to have to dig everything up & risk losing it during storage!
    Carol

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Definitely. You have several things going here...brick does reflect warmth. Have you ever seen the first daffs in the spring? Almost always on an E, W, or S side next to a foundation or wall whether it be brick or stone or concrete. In addition, you will have heat transfer from any masonry walkway, and yes, the sewer gives warmth too. Microclimates, even man made ones, help us. Any master gardener will tell you the same.

That's why when I was planting my stuff from CT, I put the more tender things close up to the house in the back yard which is fenced in (yes, Virginia, wind DOES play a role in microclimates as well, and inside my fence is always warmer than outside (it is a solid 6' privacy fence). Yup. You're absolutely correct. Hubby has to learn a tad more about what will affect the soil temps. :)

• alison
    18 years ago

Or at least learn to say things like "Yes dear, you're right!"

• highlandsgardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry, Alison, showed thread to hubby and guess what? You guys are crazy too! Hard to believe he worked at the best nursery in the city for almost 10 yrs. Apparently didn't learn a thing! FYI, I planted an agave in the ground this summer...without benefit of the brick alley. We'll see how that goes.
    Carol

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County