Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulching in the Dayton area

Posted by Michigoose Z5OH (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 05 at 19:49

I know this is unusually cold for this time of year (at least as far as looking at the weather records), and the ground seems to be frozen, with the extra coat of ice on top as a gratis.... Is it time to start mulching now? Or should I wait until the ground is REALLY frozen????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulching in the Dayton area

I am probably missing something obvious, but what are you mulching and why is it important to wait for the ground to be frozen? It seems many people mulch in spring, but this is mainly for looks. Nature "self mulches" in the fall which leads me to believe this is generally the best time.

o
RE: Mulching in the Dayton area

In the winter, I usually put mulch of pine boughs down over some or my more tender plants. I wait until the ground is frozen because if you don't, you will likely have everything eaten by voles/mice. What I am trying to prevent, primarily, is the heave which takes place with freezing and thawing.

Since I was planting way later than I should have been (mind you PLANTING perennials) since I broke my foot in August, this is especially important to make sure that my plants make it through the winter. I moved here from Connecticut, and therefore, I am unsure as to when some of the things should be done here. I was soundly zone 6 there, and I'm 5/borderline 6 here. It has been a long time since I lived in Michigan and I really can't remember what's best.

If I "self mulched" as fall does, I would end up losing stuff which I want to try to prevent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here