Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas Cactus

Posted by nancylee_321 WV z7 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 07 at 22:25

How do you properly take care of a Christmas Cactus, and make sure it blooms for Christmas.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Christmas Cactus

Hi Nancy,

Since no one else is going to tackle your question I'll give it a whirl.

Christmas Cactus love to spend the summer outdoors. They love the humidity and prefer to have adequate moisture. Mine stay outdoors until just before frost. Then they need to be brought indoors and placed in a sunny window.

The key to getting them to bloom is that they need a place where you can regulate the length of daylight. If you have a spare room that you don't go into in the evenings put your plant there. That way it's in an area that doesn't have it's light cycle broken. If you leave it out in a window in a room that has lights on in the evening chances are buds will set on the window side of the plant and not on the interior of the room side. I've got one blooming like that right now. I had to turn the buds around so I could see them.

If the plant's inside the room where it gets light all the way around chances are you'll never see it bloom.

Janet

o
RE: Christmas Cactus

I think Christmas cacti need *either* light regulation *or* cool temps, not both. Both my own plant, and those of friends, have bloomed faithfully each year (more than once, even) and we do not regulate light. However, I keep my house pretty cool and that seems to do the trick.
Monica

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here