Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Winter Sowing in the Ohio Valley

bakemom_gw
19 years ago

Ok my fellow winter sowers. How's it going? Last year I started on 12/3. The weather was consistent through the solstice on 12/21 and I had excellent germination.

This year, no dice. There were some significant warm periods. I'm hoping it won't affect my containers that now stand at 83. It's mostly perennials and woodlands that require warm-cold-warm, so I think it's ok.

I've put tender annuals aside for late March, such as zins, cosmos, and ipomoeas.

What are YOU up to in the Ohio Valley?

Comments (45)

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Well...thanks to you, Bakemom, I have my jugs & they are ready for Miracle Gro and seeds. I'll be planting the seeds after xmas time.

I'll be planting about a dozen pots.

...Beverly

• alison
    19 years ago

I got the the blues and I feel so good!

Started wintersowing today -- just to get a little done in 2004. Planted a tray of Delphinium grandiflorum "Amour" which says it has not only this blue, but white and rosy pink flowers as well.
    {{gwi:1074271}}

And I started a container of Dianthus "Siberian Blues". Not really blue, but.... still nice!

I gave my mother, my sister and my niece each three packets of seeds in their Christmas stocking. So this weekend I'm driving home with a load of milk jugs and soda bottles and will plant all their containers.

They must prepare to be amazed!

• ellenp
    19 years ago

I used to pray for the January thaw, now I'm cursing it. 3 days off and this was to be my week-end to start WSing. But all is not lost, I went out today and planted 3 packages of Spring bulbs my secret Santa at work gave me. I did it quickly so the drivers going by wouldn't call the men in the white coats for the woman working in her garden on New Years Day. Not bad considering this time last week we had 18" of snow. I also must brag on my 2 daughters, here's what they bought me for Christmas:
    A Garden Claw
    New pruners
    A new pole for my bird feeders
    Mini greenhouse
    Computer desk
    $25.00 gift certificate for Parks Seeds
    5 pair of Victoria's Secret underwear (these are to wear under the faded jeans and grubby OU sweatshirt OR they haven't given up on me yet (:

Oh, and I bought myself a Mantis tiller...the veggie garden will get bigger this year.......
    Have a wonderful New Year everyone!

• ohio_homegrown
    19 years ago

What's all this "winter sowing" about? Is this sowing seeds outdoors during the winter? or does this just mean starting seeds indoor under lights and on a heat matt? I'm just curious.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Ohio Homegrown! Hey, you're in town! Welcome and please join us on the winter sowing forum. It's perfect for Columbus, Ohio.

Winter sowing has NOTHING to do with indoor sowing or grow lights. This is a method involving preparing containers and placing them outdoors all winter (I have 92 done right now). Ma nature sets in and takes over for germination.

We have controlled environments with high germination and no damping off. Hardening off is minimal and plantout rate is fab.

no lights, no mess, no indoor, no damping off. Join us?
    I'm here to help you and there are dozens of wonderful people who will coach you along the way. Here's the main link - then go to the FAQs

Tell them Bakemom sent you. See what happens!

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Join US!

• kab121170
    19 years ago

I'm still waiting for the weather to get cold. I'm a little hesitant to sow the seeds because I'm afraid that they will germinate prematurely.

• alison
    19 years ago

A lot of the things I'm sowing are quick-to-sprout annuals, like basil and hyacinth bean vines -- I'm waiting till maybe March to put those out.

But the perennials and the slower-sprouting seeds are good to go. I'll be putting those out in the next few weeks as I have the time.

But -- I have a brand new cat to get to know, and have yet to do my New Year's cleaning -- so it may take a while!

I planted several containers for my mother, and put them on the patio. She remains unconvinced, but I think my father is intrigued by recycling the milk jugs. So I'm sure that the next time I go to Cincinnati he will have several saved and waiting for me!

One convert at a time.....

• storygardener
    19 years ago

I was planning to do mine this week. But, it's so mild out..I wasn't sure if I should wait until it get's cold again.

Thanks to Bakemom's generosity...I have all of my containers and just have to "do it".

Happy Winter Sowing folks...Beverly

• ohio_homegrown
    19 years ago

Thank you bakemom, i will check out the site. i have the heat matts and a 12'x14" greenhouse i do all my pre- growing with. This "winter sowing" sounds interesting though, i just might give it a shot.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm up to 102 containers. I did have some premature sprouts due to the unseasonable December weather, but nothing I'm real concerned about. It's plenty safe now and perennials are fine.

I will have plenty of seeds to send out this summer/fall, to get people started. In fact, I'm already planning my summer sowing projects using the winter sowing method. I did that last year and it was a blast. Talk about instant gratification!

• storygardener
    19 years ago

I am in!!! I sowed 9 containers today!! I had fun. I'll have about 6 to do in early March. (other annuals that must wait)

I'll tell you what I planted today:

black ball bachelor buttons
    red annual poppies
    pink nicotiana
    red pomponette english daisy
    white carpet allysum
    blue larkspur delphinium (I think..they were here when I moved her 5 years ago- they reseed, too)
    aster laterfolius lady in black
    mexican hat
    tricyrtus maculatta (toadlily)

Fun, fun, fun....Beverly

• blest2bmom2two
    19 years ago

I am so excited about this wonder idea! I was wondering what on earth I would do in our new home! We have just moved to Ohio from Canada - still surrounded by unpacked boxes!

We have been painting and trying to get organized - next week we start on some pretty big renovations - I just couldn't see setting up my grow lights with all these workers, plumbers, electricians etc bumbling about my home - not to mention two active children - now you have given me hope!!!

I'm off to raid the recycle bins and I'm sure a stop to WalMart will be in the offing first thing Monday! I am soooooooooooooo excited!!!

It's kind of like what my poppa did many years ago - he planted peas outdoors (5 feet of snow on the ground at times!) in 15 foot lengths of evestroughing covered in heavy plastic and when they were up he dug a furrow, watered the eves and slid them out into the furrow. No fuss - and fresh snappy peas by good Queen Vic's birthday every year!

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Welcome to Ohio! Time to get going and have some fun in the dirt. Join us over in the Winter Sowing Forum. Those folks will forward seed offers and you can chat with other Canadians who understand your position. Hopefully, you are in the Columbus area, or are close enough to attend our spring swap hosted by Storygardener and Princess Mimi.

Post on Winter Sowing if you wish and tell them Bakemom sent you. See what happens next!

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Anyone see any green yet? I can hardly wait. Soon, I'll be doing my annuals.

• storygardener
    19 years ago

I saw little greenies today!!! I have germination in my red poppies, sweet alysum, & bachelor buttons.

YIppeee!

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have 7 containers sprouting. It's a bit early as last year was 3/10. Oh well! I have bachelor buttons, dwarf sunflowers, california bluebells etc.

We are posting right now on Winter Sowing!

• auntym999
    19 years ago

I started this year (actually this week). I have cabbage products, lupine, foxglove, canterbury bells, scarbosia and lots of peppers, tomatoes and egg plants. We will see how this works.

• storygardener
    19 years ago

I added more today...nasturshum, cerenthe, amaranthes, larkspur, and mina lobata. I still have a few more to do later this week.

I have 15 containers now.

FUN!!

Beverly

• Freckles_OH
    19 years ago

This is my first year winter sowing, and I have green! Blue Flax, Red peony poppies, Mexican Hats, & Chives. I'm so excited, I had to tell someone!

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sounds like winners. Those will all do well for you. Keep sowing people!

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Goodie...now I can add Mexican Hat to my sprouters of Red annual poppies, bachelor buttons, and sweet alyssum.

Watcha got sprouting , Bakemom?

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Another bachelor button jug. Not much since the artic blast that put things in a holding pattern. Hold on tight for the next week and think green! Seems we're about 2 weeks behind last year.

No poppies yet for me. rats.

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Seven more for me...and I am done. (total 22 containers)

What I sowed today:

white zinnia
    white cosmos
    yellow/red/orange nasturshums
    pink ensign morning glories
    yellow celosia
    fushia celosia
    tall sunflowers

Fun to get my hands in the dirt!

Beverly

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My stocks germinated! Things should be picking up soon. Looks like another week of 40s for the high and 30s for the low.

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Well...I thought I was done..and I bought some more sunflower seeds. I always direct plant them in May. I think I WS some and direct sow some for subsequent bloom times!! (if the rabbits don't eat them all!)

I'll plant the sunnies this week.

...Beverly

• storygardener
    19 years ago

I did 8 more containers today - giving me a total of 30.

I added:

Red Sun Sunflowers
    Dwarf Sonata Cosmos
    Sonata White Cosmos
    5 mystery sunflower varieties (I got them at my garden club seed swap)

I still will save some sunflower seeds to plant in the ground so I will have a later bloom. I love sunnies!!

Beverly

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sounds good. My lupins sprouted yesterday. Things are germinating slowly but surely.

Sunflowers really winter sow well. Most of mine have germinated.

• kowalleka
    19 years ago

This was my first year WS and I was sceptical. But I have tons of seedlings coming up - both annuals and perennials. Now I am hooked! I am seeing hundreds of containers outside next winter!!!!

• storygardener
    19 years ago

My Blue Ensign Convolvulus are sprouting...from old seed too. Fun!!

So pretty...

Here is a link that might be useful: blue ensign convolvulus

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Bakemom..the Easter Bunny told me you planted some 43 more containers!! Whatcha planting??

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I haven't posted on the count for a while. I'm sowing zins, cosmos, and ipomoeas right now. Today, a container of diablo cosmos. Should be interesting.

• alison
    19 years ago

Was so busy the last few days I haven't finished planting containers, but hope to get everything that's going, into some dirt, before the weekend!

Have a bunch of sprouts; Carnivale hollyhocks, immortelle, centranthus, pink forget-me-nots, red scabiosa, snow-in-summer, St. John's Wort, datura and -- if you can believe it -- agapanthus!

I did get to spend a little time cleaning up the garden this weekend, and it's so exciting to see all the winter-sown perennials from last season coming up strong.

• storygardener
    19 years ago

I planted out my first WS babies. LOTS of sunflowers plants. Some are floppy, though.

With this big rain coming on - I guess I'll put my open jugs under the picnic table for some protection.

...Beverly

• storygardener
    18 years ago

What are you all covering your already planted out very tender WS babies this weekend? I planted LOTS of 3-5 inch sunflowers this week. Woud a thin drop cloth do? How about a sheet? What do you all think?

Just to be on the safe side...I'll bring the very tender jugs of plants into garage. They are all cut open and exposed to the "real world".

Beverly

• alison
    18 years ago

I haven't planted anything out in the dirt yet, because I was sure we hadn't seen the last of the cold. I've just started to thin some of the seedling within the trays,; probably won't plant out till then end of the month.

I did rip the plastic a little too much in recent days with the high 70's temps, so I'll have to put some of them in new trash bags.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Most of my tops are off (mardi gras for seedlings - where are the beads?). Poppies, bachelor buttons and strawflower are planted out but they will be fine this weekend.

I'm at 148 official containers. That's a conservative estimate.

Zins, cosmos, suns, 4:00s, and other tenders are going in an unheated garage for sat and sun. otherwise, it's business as ususal.

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Well...it's 10:30 am Saturday morning. It's snowing in my yard. The planted out sunflowers are covered with cardboard boxes, triple plastic pots with trash bags and pots with old towels on them. These are all topped off with rocks - so that it all doesn't blow away. Lesson learned..wait to plant out sunflowers next year!

The other tenders sit in the wheelbarrow in the garage. I think they should all be OK.

Hope your WS babies are all doing well.

...Beverly

• storygardener
    18 years ago

I have only planted out my sunnies. My cosmos are about 5 inches tall already...how tall is too tall for them. I need to plant those babies out!!

Many are ready to be planted: cosmos, convolvulous, nicotiana, larkspur, cerenthe and others.

My poppies started out well and then pooped out on me. This is a live and learn process, indeed.

Anyone else ready to take the "plunge" of planting more of their WS babies.

Beverly

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm waiting on the cosmos perhaps this weekend. Larkspur should be fine, my nicos are out. Poppies have been out for a few weeks. Bachelor buttons are out, stocks, malva, strawflower, lupins and others are out out out.

I'm holding back 4:00s, zins, cosmos, and amaranthus.

• alison
    18 years ago

Planted out Linda's larkspur and some sweet sultan this morning.

Found a few stray sweet autumn clematis seedlings that I potted up in hopes they'll look like something in time for the swap, and filled a few more cups with toad lilies.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm still sowing - chocolate flower, dianthus Village pinks, greenheart calendula and more and more godetia.

Pentstemmons went into the ground this week. Time for those pups to perform.

Rudbeckia maximus went out too.

• storygardener
    18 years ago

When is it time to plant out the cosmos, nasturshum and morning glories? It seems like it should be soon.

I was out of town for a couple of days while it frosted. I did, however, put my real tenders in the garage before I left...but, my sunnies seem stunted from the frost & cold. I hope they perk back up.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sunnies can be tricky as they sprout so early when winter sowed, yet they are sometimes very very sensitive to frost. Mine did fine, but I had to really keep an eye on them.

I'm starting planting out zins, cosmos, mgs etc this weekend. I have to plant out the last of my 4:00s tonight.

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Seems like my failures had to do with too much water! But, we live and learn (or WS & learn in this case).

It was nice to see lots of those WS babies at the swap!!

Are you spring sowing now, Bakemom? If so, what & do you use the milk jugs still?

• storygardener
    18 years ago

OK...do you all have your WS plants in the ground yet? I just have some cosmos left.

I am enjoying many WS plants I got at the swap.

Bakemom - where those your strawflower seedlings I got at the swap?

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus